From “Leaves of Grass” by Walt Whitman
“I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of
Show off the beauty of your hand-painted yarn with this simple, graphic, lace pattern. The stitch pattern used for the body is a garter stitch version of the lace pattern “Leaves of Grass.”
The edging is knit as a long strip. Stitches are then picked up along the length and the knitting is joined in the round to work the body of the hat.
Pattern is 6 pages.
- Picking up stitches
- Working in the round
- Increasing and decreasing
- Following charts
Fits head circumference up to: 18” (21”, 24”)/45.72 (53.34, 6160.96) cm
Finished size (blocked): 13.5” (16.5”, 19”)/34.29 (41.94, 48.26) cm
Height (edge to crown): 8”/20.32 cm
- Stitch marker (1)
- Locking stitch marker (1)
- Tapestry Needle
- Fine cotton yarn in contrasting color for life-lines (optional)
- Glow line tape (to mark current row on charts/instructions - optional)
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Yarn: 120 (140, 160) yds/110 (128, 146) meters wool or wool-blend DK weight yarn that knits up to 5.5 sts/inch.
Note: With one skein of Indigodragonfly Polwarth Silk, you will be able to make this hat as well as the matching cowl and fingerless mitts (pattern to be released in April/May 2014).
Shown In: Indigodragonfly ‘DK Polwarth Silk’, (775 yards/709 meters; 75% wool, 25% silk; 8.82 oz/250 grams per skein), 1 skein in Curse Your Sudden but Inevitable Betrayal (Wash).
Other Possible Yarns:
- Filatura Di Crosa ‘Zara Chinè’, (137 yards/125 meters; 100% merino; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- The Verdant Gryphon ‘Traveller’, (280 yards/256 meters; 100% merino; 3.63 oz/103 grams per skein).
- Rowan ‘Pure Wool DK’, (136 yards/124 meters; 100% wool; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Manos del Uruguay ‘Silk Blend’, (150 yards/137 meters; 70% merino, 30% silk; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- madelinetosh ‘tosh merino DK’, (225 yards/206 meters; 100% merino; 4.06 oz/100 grams per skein).
- Rowan ‘Felted Tweed DK’, (191 yards/175 meters; 50% merino, 25% rayon, 25% alpaca; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
- Koigu ‘Kersti Merino Crepe’, (114 yards/104 meters; 100% merino; 1.76 oz/50 grams per skein).
Hard (paper) copies of this pattern may be available from your local yarn shop. Please contact them for more details.