Zola Bulky Stacked Shell Cowl/Shrug
The Zola Bulky Stacked Shell Cowl is available in four sizes. This versatile pattern can be worn as a regular cowl, a hooded cowl or even as a shrug. Design features front post stitches and trinity shells for a unique textured look.
Full video tutorial in pattern
S (M, L, XL)
38 (41, 45, 50)” circumference
14sc x 14r = 4” x 4
Any worsted weight #4 yarn.
Approximately 600 (700, 850, 1000) yards
6.0mm (J) Hook
• This pattern is written in size small, changes for medium, large and extra large are in parenthesis.
• This pattern can be customized to any size. Your beginning foundation chain needs to be a multiple of 3 AND must be an even number.
• Be sure you foundation chain does not twist when you join it to form a ring. I recommend removing the hook and pulling up a loop. Hold that end in your dominate hand and use your other hand to slide down the foundation chain. Line up the edges (the beginning tail should be on the bottom. Insert your hook back into the loop and slip stitch into the very first foundation stitch you created.
• Each Round will begin with a chain
o Ch2 counts as the first hdc
o Ch3 counts as the first dc
o Ch4 counts as the first tr
• Each round will end with a sl st into the Ch2, Ch3 or Ch4
blo - back loops only; ch – chain; dc – double crochet; hdc – half double crochet; sc – single crochet; sk – skip; sl st – slip stitch; sp(es) – space(s); st(s) – stitch(es)
fdc- foundation double crochet
Chain 4 (counts as the first fdc). Yarn over and insert hook in 4th chain from hook. Yarn over and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 1 loop creating a chain st, (this is an important step but easy to forget). Yarn over again and pull through first two loops on hook (two loops remaining). Yarn over again and pull through last two loops on hook. This completes the second fdc (remember your ch4 counted as the first fdc). To stitch the next fdc, yarn over and insert the hook into the chain made in the 2nd fdc and repeat from
fpdc- front post double crochet
same as double crochet except instead of crocheting in the normal space you insert hook under post in previous round (from front to back)
fptr- front post treble (triple) crochet
same as triple crochet except instead of crocheting in the normal space you insert hook under post in previous round (from front to back)