17Q17's projects
Black Mamba

17Q17 > notebook > projects > Black Mamba

February 5 2012
February 27 2012
Project info
Black Mamba
Roman Candle by Berta Karapetyan
Needles & yarn
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 8 - 5.0 mm
Valley Yarns Northfield
620 yards in stash
14 skeins = 1736.0 yards (1587.4 meters), 700 grams

Getting 32 st & 28 rows/4” on size 8 needles, so I’ll need to add one extra row per inch for the basket stitches.

The yarn is showing off the cables beautifully, even on the black. The sheen of the silk really adds depth and texture. I believe this will be a good fit for this pattern.

Cast on with size 8s & then switched to size 4 needles, works great to eliminate a too tight cast-on.

February 14th hmmm… not really feeling this. I finished the back and I’m up to the cable pattern stitches on the front. I added a couple of extra inches because I don’t want it riding up, but I may re-do the back a little shorter.

February 26th Nearing the finish line. This took * a lot* more yarn than the pattern stated for me. More than double! but the fit is good. I did lengthen it about an inch and a half for the body, and there’s about 25% more accounting for my row gauge, but that shouldn’t have accounted for that much difference. I also decreased the depth of the armhole, but these sleeves are still very long. It looks like longer than normal sleeves may have been intended in the pattern. I also only did 4” (instead of 5) on the neck collar, any more would have been excessive on me.

All I have left is to sew up the side seams.

The sleeve caps on this are designed with a very wide shoulder. If I were to make this again, I would modify them to adapt for a more rounded and narrow cap.

viewed 130 times
February 5 2012
February 27 2012
About this pattern
17Q17's star rating
17Q17's difficulty rating
20 projects, in 42 queues
About this yarn
by Valley Yarns
70% Merino, 20% Alpaca, 10% Silk
124 yards / 50 grams
17Q17's star rating

1891 projects

stashed 1779 times

  • Originally queued: December 2, 2011
  • Project created: February 5, 2012
  • Finished: February 27, 2012
  • Updated: March 1, 2012
  • Progress updates: 14 updates