Anna-Jo's projects
Summer tank top
Hibernating
Progress
95%
January 24 2015
no date set
Project info
Summer tank top
V-Neck or Rounded Sleeveless Tunic by Blacker Yarns Design Team
Knitting
Daisy
Needles & yarn
US 8 - 5.0 mm
Patons North America Cotton Top
Red-purple
Notes

28th January 2015:

I decided to make this simple tank top for Daisy as she needs a WW2 evacuee costume for a school trip on 12th February. Nothing like a deadline to get me motivated! I was originally going to work it in some red DK wool I have in my stash, but after trying out a tension square (and practising the lace stitch) I realised I didn’t have anywhere near enough yarn. Instead I’ve gone up to a nubbly textured worsted weight yarn from my stash, that I’ve always intended to make something for Daisy out of. Not sure if it’s really very 1940s, but never mind.

I’m using the pattern as a jumping off point, and have decided to work the tank in the round, as I wanted to finally get some use out of my gorgeous set of Knit Pro circular needles. I’ve ended up doing less stitches than the smallest size in the pattern indicates, but it should be okay as I used the long tail method of casting on, with a tail 3x the circumference I needed. Will check after a few more rows and frog it if necessary.

I’m going to work this whole thing without seams, so I’ll be grafting at the shoulders and working the arm and neck bands in the round on dpns.

Am working the waistband in a k2p2 rib on the same size needles, and will work the main body in simple stockinette.

Here’s hoping I can finish in time (and that it fits…)

29th January:

Daisy has informed me that she needs a black jumper for dressing as an evacuee, and she’s absolutely adamant that pink just won’t do. Looks like there won’t be such a rush to finish this now. On the plus side, it looks like at 116 stitches a round, it will come out at the perfect size with a good amount of stretch. Should be a perfect summer layer.

6th February:

Have made a fair amount of progress this week as I spent a day in hospital with Gabriel and there was nothing else to do. Worked the rib for two inches before going into plain stockinette. The yarn has made a slightly sore spot on my fingers where it feeds through, but other than that, I’m finding circular knitting is much easier on the hands and shoulders than dealing with two heavier needles.

31-12-2015

Actually completed most of the work on this back in the summer, but got disheartened by the bind off on the neck ribbing. I had to do some yarn over bind offs to stop the neck being too tight, but I think I worked in too many and it’s too loose looking now. And of course, Daisy has nearly grown out of it…

I think I tried too many new techniques with a tricky, unyielding yarn. I must remember to stick to easier yarns for learning with. Trying to decide now whether it’s worth my time doing the ribbing on the armholes. Probably will do as I hate to leave it unfinished so near the end. Maybe I can gift it to one of my nieces if it doesn’t fit Daisy.

viewed 47 times
Hibernating
Progress
95%
January 24 2015
no date set
About this pattern
130 projects, in 304 queues
Anna-Jo's overall rating
Anna-Jo's clarity rating
Anna-Jo's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Patons North America
Worsted
100% Cotton
150 yards / 50 grams

274 projects

stashed 579 times

Anna-Jo's star rating
  • Project created: January 25, 2015
  • Updated: May 25, 2016
  • Progress updates: 4 updates