Mark's Vest
Finished
March 17, 2020
April 17, 2020

Mark's Vest

Project info
His Vest by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas
Knitting
Dad
46" chest
Needles & yarn
US 3 - 3.25 mm
US 5 - 3.75 mm
21.5 stitches and 32 rows = 4 inches
in stockinette
Naturally Amuri DK
218 yards in stash
6.4 skeins = 1088.0 yards (994.9 meters), 320 grams
Shall We Knit? in Waterloo, Ontario
November 21, 2019
Notes

I swatched this yarn (which is a felted singles that’s somewhat thick-and-thin) and found that the gauge on 3.75 mm needles was better than on 4 mm ones — just a little more substantial, which I think is going to be better for the potential wear issues you get with a singles yarn/short-staple fibres. My stitch gauge is close enough that I’m confident it will fit; the row gauge is off, but I have to adjust for my tall father anyway, and I have lots more yarn than I’ll need.

I’m going to incorporate the cable from the Howth vest, just in a vertical stripe up one side of the vest. (Dad likes the look of that vest, but project notes indicate that there are issues with the pattern, so I’m going to side-step that and go with a pattern that gets much better reviews.) I’ll work the front with 4 extra sts to accommodate the cabling.

Size-wise, Dad has a 46” chest but only a 40” waist, so I’m going to make a straight 46” vest — I know that the pattern recommends some positive ease, but I also think that the knitting will accommodate the wider part of his chest without being too tent-like over the rest of his torso. Fingers crossed! I might work the back at the straight 46” size and the front with a few extra sts (beyond what’s needed for the cables) — that was the technique used in the CustomFit sweaters I’ve made, and it seems to do well at keeping the seams straight at the sides of the body, without making the math much more complex.

21-03-2020

Man. Self-isolating means a lot of knitting time. I’m about 13” into the back (20 rows of ribbing and 90 of stockinette) already! I’m taking breaks so I don’t injure myself. The yarn is GORGEOUS.

28-03-2020

Finished the back last night, and did the math for cable placement. Cast on again today for the front! The back used just less than 3 skeins of yarn.

09-04-2020

Finished the side of the front with the cable panel. I miscalculated the exact placement, and it did run into the neck decreases, but thankfully I think I was able to work in the decreases in a way that feels reasonably organic.

14-04-2020

Seaming done! Just need to pick up and do the ribbing now…

14-04-2020

I should probably write down somewhere that I moved the decreases in 1 stitch from the edges, to make the picking up easier. I hate picking up into decreases and I’m surprised this pattern, which is otherwise extremely thorough, doesn’t include that in the instructions.

viewed 34 times
Finished
March 17, 2020
April 17, 2020
About this pattern
159 projects, in 238 queues
AnnieBee's overall rating
AnnieBee's clarity rating
AnnieBee's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Naturally
DK
75% Merino, 25% Possum
170 yards / 50 grams

635 projects

stashed 722 times

AnnieBee's star rating
  • Project created: March 17, 2020
  • Finished: April 17, 2020
  • Updated: May 4, 2020
  • Progress updates: 10 updates