BonnieBroussard > notebook > projects > Deschain

Project info
Deschain
Deschain by Leila Raabe
Knitting
me
54.25"
Needles & yarn
US 10½ - 6.5 mm
14 stitches and 18 rows = 4 inches
in stockinette stitch, after blocking
Garnstudio DROPS Bomull-Lin
651 yards in stash
1265
Black
Di Lana ed Altre Storie
May 15, 2017
Notes

Finished Today! And just in time to go to the notary’s office to sign on a new house. So, it’s now a commemorative ‘new house’ sweater. Fortunately it’s only 78ºF today so I could wear it ;). Happy to have made the very firm shoulder seam and to have done the neck trim - I think it helps the sweater from stretching out of proportion. Happy with the Bomull-Lin yarn but it is VERY splitty and with black that was a challenge. It was helpful to use a red cord and nickel-plated steel needles so that I could see each stitch. Detailed notes below:

Well, I didn’t have any 6.5mm needles so I wasted some time trying to make it work with 6mm and with 7mm but I finally gave in and ordered some 6.5mm tips for my KnitPro set. Fortunately, despite the splittyness of the yarn, it seems to have held up well to multiple taking out and reknitting.
Because I’m a person who often has to put down my knitting in the middle of a row and a person with an iffy memory ;), I decided to print myself a little ‘follow-along’ row guide for the shale panel so that I don’t lose my place. Other than my personal shortcomings, the pattern itself is very easy to follow and I’m hoping that I’ll have this sweater done before the end of June!

06-12-2017

Finished the front panel yesterday, decided to do only 4 repeats as per the pattern because I want to wear it with a high-waisted skirt and the length looks good to me. I think I will try adding shortrows in the back as many others have but I haven’t made up my mind just yet. I have decided to sew all of the seams for stability rather than PUK.

06-25-2017

MODS:

Back: Did 4 shortrows at the back neck and another 3, two rows before the bottom edge, to create a curved bottom edge to match the front. If I had it to do again, I’d have added one or two more at the bottom and skipped the ones at the shoulders. If you look at the last 2 pictures you can see that I added the shortrows to the bottom at 9 stitch intervals using this technique.
Final length 15” due to different row gauge.

Shoulder seam: picked up 31 stitches from each side and then did a 3 needle bind off using size 5 needles with right sides facing.

Side seams: Mattress stitch 8” from bottom.

Sleeves: Picked up 46 (even though I was knitting the smallest size) and decreased as follows:
Knit 9 rows, decrease to 44
Knit 8 rows, decrease to 42
Knit 8 rows, decrease to 40
Knit 5 rows, decrease to 38
Knit 5 rows, decrease to 36
Knit 4 rows, bind off knit wise.

This made a 9” sleeve.

07-19-2017

Follow-up: Almost a month after finishing I have washed and worn this sweater two more times over the last several weeks. I’m pleased with the firm shoulder seam even though I was originally concerned that it was bulky. It doesn’t bother me when I wear it and I’ve had no problems with stretching or sagging in the shoulders or in the sleeves. It’s a very comfortable sweater and I enjoy wearing it alot :).

viewed 200 times | helped 1 person
Finished
June 5 2017
June 27 2017
About this pattern
BonnieBroussard's star rating
BonnieBroussard's difficulty rating
373 projects, in 1261 queues
About this yarn
by Garnstudio
Aran
53% Cotton, 47% Linen / Flax
93 yards / 50 grams
BonnieBroussard's star rating

1885 projects

stashed 1428 times

  • Project created: June 5, 2017
  • Finished: June 27, 2017
  • Updated: July 19, 2017
  • Progress updates: 7 updates