This is one of my favorite crochet projects ever. I loved working on it, I’m very happy with the finished piece, and I’m now totally comfortable with crochet charts.
Originally I worked with a 1.65mm hook but it looked sloppy so I frogged it – at round 28 of 31 - and began again with a 1.5mm hook. Much better and the reused Cebelia thread showed no wear at all. The doily took just under 2 full skeins and I started a third skein for the border.
Before beginning the border I put the doily in a mesh bag in the washing machine on warm/delicate for 10 minutes then spread it out on a blocking board with no pins. When it was dry I worked the border then put it back in the machine and this time pinned out the border shells.
The finished piece is 29”/75cm at the widest. I suppose it would be called a tabletopping doily.