Yay! A new cardigan!! Here’s a summary:
Dec. 2007 - made the Hourglass Raglan
Dec. 2008 - changed it to an Equinox Yoke Pullover
Gorgeous, won 1st place at the MN State Fair, yet…
August 2013 - machine sewed a steek down the front, cut the steek
October 2013 - picked up and knit buttonbands, sewed on buttons
and voila! A new cardigan! Only took 6 years :)
This sweater started out as an Hourglass Sweater. Then, because it turned out I didn’t like the square-ish neckline, I went whole hog and turned it into an Equinox Pullover. This turned out awesome and actually took first place at the MN State Fair, yet since I so rarely wear full pullovers and have discovered that yoke sweaters don’t look all that great on me, I’m taking it one step further and turning this into a cardigan.
This is the first time I’ll be cutting my knitting. Ever. And I don’t even have a well designed steek to follow. We’ll see how this goes.
Oct. 13, 2012
I have a boatload of studying/homework to do today and limited time with a quiet house, but I couldn’t resist starting the day with tacking down the buttonbands, sewing on buttons, and blocking. I referred to Elinor Brown Knits for much to do with the steeking and tacking process. I find this tutorial to be very straightforward and comprehensive to my needs. I’m sewing on the buttons (cheap, but perfect shiny blue plastic) with lovely shiny blue rayon thread…which is a little fragile. At least if I yank on it, it breaks. So crossing fingers that these buttons hold, but I can always re-sew a button if I have to.
Oct. 12, 2013
I did the sewing/cutting back in August, did a line of slip stitch crochet in early September, and now it’s October 12 and I have the itch to pick up the button bands.
First side: I started by picking up one stitch for every row of knitting. I picked up a total of 145 stitches along the right front. I’m going to knit a 2x2 rib button band so I’ll keep the stitches at a 1:1 ratio for the first 6 stitches and the last 7 stitches, and then reduce the remaining 132 stitches to a 3:4 ratio by working 2 stitches then 2 stitches together (p2, p2tog on the first wrong side row). Hopefully I didn’t doom my button band to curling outward by purling the first wrong side row. Hmm.
I think I’ll just do yo buttonholes. The buttons I’m using are only 3/4” so it should be just fine. I’m not picky. I have 9 buttons.
Total button band stitches = 112
Marker placement for buttonholes from bottom up: 1st marker after 4 stitches, each subsequent marker after 13 stitches. Work buttonholes at each marker by doing yo, k2tog.
Buttonhole row was the 9th row (row count includes initial pick up row).
Unbelievably, I cut this right up the center and I’m turning it into a cardigan. I hope it works…I’ve never done this before. I used my sewing machine to sew a line up each side of the center where I wanted to cut. After cutting, I made a line of slip stitch crochet up the column of stitches where I want my button bands to start. The line of crochet helps form a turning line for the facing.