JennEmerson > notebook > projects > Window

Project info
Window to my soul by Joji Locatelli
Needle and yarn
US 3 - 3.25 mm
US 4 - 3.5 mm
US 5 - 3.75 mm
madelinetosh tosh merino light
1260 yards in stash
970.2 yards 2.31 skeins = 970.2 yards (887.2m)
Yarns Unlimited in Sewickley, Pennsylvania

IntSweMoDo2013 #4

Originally swatched with Fragrant, but decided to use Wash instead.

Using this tutorial to do the smocking stitch without a cable needle. It’s SO much faster this way!

My neck, shoulder and across back measurements indicate I should knit the 32/34 inch size, but that would give me 2.25” of negative ease at the bust, and I don’t want that. So I knit to the sleeve separation at gauge, then went up a needle size to add a little extra room to the bust area.

I really wish I had added selvedge stitches, especially in the lace portion to make picking up for the button bands easier. If I knit another one, I would definitely do that.


  • Switched to size 5 needles after sleeve separation for the rest of the lace portion to lessen the amount of negative ease at the full bust.

  • Decided to purl the entire last row of the lace chart before knitting the stockinette portion, so there would be a seamless transition.

  • Sleeves: No decreases, knit sleeves to 4.5 inches before ribbing. Used size US 3 (3.25mm) for ribbing because I don’t have a US 2.5 (3 mm).

  • Button Bands: Picked up 118 stitches for the button bands (multiple of 4+2) so it would start and end with a k2 on the RS. Knit an extra row on the non-buttonhole button band so the BO would be on the RS. Started with p2 then continued with the instructions as written on the button-hole band.

I used 39g of the 3rd skein.

viewed 1307 times | helped 33 people
May 5 2013
May 26 2013
About this pattern
Window to my soul
by Joji Locatelli
from Hopeful Knits
JennEmerson's star rating
JennEmerson's difficulty rating
160 projects, in 993 queues
About this yarn
tosh merino light
by madelinetosh
Fingering / 4 ply
100% Merino
420 yards
JennEmerson's star rating
30829 projects, stashed 45088 times
  • Originally queued: April 17, 2013
  • Project created: April 22, 2013
  • Finished: May 26, 2013
  • Updated: November 9, 2013