My first top-down sweater. (Oh, and I made my own stitch markers: fishies!)
CO 90, knit in stockinette, but otherwise followed the instructions word by word. Tried it on several times (yay for top-down knitting!) until I was sure that the sleeve sections would fit around my arms, then transferred them to some spare yarn (and removed all the fishies) and joined the rest up. From there on it was just mindless knitting for the rest of the body - just perfect for simultaneously catching up on some TV series. ;) Picked up two more stitches on each side of every sleeve section to avoid holes - then knit those additional stitches together in the following row, since I didn’t want more than 52 stitches in total for each sleeve. BO sleeves at elbow length.
Used a tiny bit over 5 balls of yarn. (So for a short-sleeved version 5 would be enough.)
Did a little bit of creative weaving with the loose ends where the picked-up sleeve stitches looked a little messy, sewed on these 3 pretty buttons I had, had some fun with the i-cords, did some light spray blocking (so the edges hopefully won’t curl in so much on themselves), and voilà. :D