PRE BLOCKED: Gauge swatch on 6mm (10US) needles: 6.5 stitches and 12 rows in 2 inches
POST BLOCKING: 6.5 stiches and 14 rows in 2 inches on US10 needle. It appears I got gauge on a needle 2 sizes smaller than that recommended. It’s hard to tell what’s going on with this yarn though. It’s really fuzzy and hairy after blocking (and before for that matter, but more after because the yarn blooms).
I just don’t know what I think of the Lett Lopi yarn. In some ways I really appreciate it. In other ways, I find it scratchy and harsh. I’ll likely soak the final garment in conditioner before wet blocking to improve softness of the fiber. I think the proof will be in how it wears. I’ve heard that it’s incomparably warm (could be bad or good for this garment) and very durable.
Waistcoat: Cast on 44 stitches on US 10 - decided to make size M (37” bust) when it seemed that the S (33” bust) was going to be too small - even though this doesn’t close closely over the bust and I believe that being narrow would incline me to make the smaller size. Trying to figure out what dimensions to make the back piece. I’ve CO 34 stitches (associated with L size) and I don’t now how wide I’m going to make it. Remember, with back piece, width is length and length is width because you attach the side edges of the back piece to the top and bottom of the waistcoat.
Blocked the waistcoat part as follows: First sewed up the seam (next time I’ll do a provisional cast on so that I can 3 needle bind off the seam for a neater finish). I washed it in SOAK and then in hair conditioner for a bit more softness (the Lett-Lopi is hairy). Blocked it so that the opening (into which the back piece will be sewn) is 10” diameter. Pinned it because I don’t know to what extent the yarn will retain its size or stretch. That should allow for enough room for armholes without them being too long. Time will tell.
Back: 34 CO stitches (Large instructions) gave me 9.5” of length (preblocking) and 50 Rows (Medium instructions) gave me 8.5” width (preblocking). Since I find the drafted width of the back piece too narrow for my liking, and given that a Small would yield 9.25” in length and 6.7” in width (presuming gauge), I think that the 9.5” and 8.5 works well. I can always seam this in stretched slightly along the edges for more width, as required. Of course, the proof will be in seaming this in and then seeing how the garment hangs. Note: I opted to pin the back at 10” x 10” which the piece adapted to easily.
Note: I slipped the first stitch of each garter row purlwise for an easier edge to seam. Next time, I might just pick up and knit from the blocked waistcoat and then seam the bottom.
Back used 24g (52 yards) of yarn and remainder from total yardage, on completion, is 39g of yarn.
Really love the end result but I’d make it again in a drapier fabric. My blog post on the topic indicates why…
OK, this is an accessory/garment that I actually wear occasionally. I’m happy to have it in my wardrobe. It’s quite eye-catching and it gets a lot of compliments.