LisaKereliuk > notebook > projects > Camden Bobble Sweater

Project info
Camden Bobble Sweater
Camden by Ashley Adams Moncrief
Knitting
me
Xsmall, small
Needle and yarn
US 4 - 3.5 mm
Patons North America Canadiana Solids (Vintage)
1446 yards in stash
964 yards, 400 grams 4 skeins = 964.0 yards (881.5m)
Gray
Len's Mill Store in Guelph, Ontario
Notes

I did quite a bit of fiddling with this project.

First, I didn’t buy the yarn that was called for in the pattern, so I redid all of the instructions to better match my gauge, just by winging it where I felt it needed it. On my first attempt, I decreased for the waist too quickly and had to rip it out. I also decreased too quickly on the yoke and started that part over as well.

I have a moderate to long torso, so I’d planned for this sweater to be long. Even though my yarn had only 6 1/2 rows per inch instead of 8, I think I made the same number of rows.

For the body, I cast on the number of stitches for the Xsmall, which gave me about the appropriate size for the small when corrected for gauge.

For the sleeves, I overcompensated. I was thinking that my arms are quite large, so I used the number of stitches listed for the size small rather than Xsmall, but I found the resulting sleeve opening much too large and oddly shaped. (See photo with grey sweater underneath.)

The first neckline I did I wasn’t happy with at all. (Again see photo with grey sweater. It was rolling up way more than I’d like at the neck edge.) Someone suggested I use smaller needles, then cast off in purl, so I did that, adding a twist to those last few rows as well. It’s much better than how it first looked, but not yet perfect. However, I knew that if I didn’t finish it off right away I would never stop fiddling with it, so I wanted to at least get it done, if not done perfectly.

I wore this sweater to work today, and I’m finding that it actually could have been a little smaller. It feels like it was meant to fit slightly more snug. I think I might just have too many rows in the yoke section. If I do rework the neck, I will probably take out the last bobble row as well as a couple just below it.

As a short term fix the arms, I’ve run a string of yarn through the top edge of the ribbing and pulled it tight to slightly gather it. It’s not how the design was meant to be, but it works. I haven’t tacked it permanently like that yet because I’m not really sure how to do it.

I haven’t made the detachable long sleeves that were included with the pattern. With the sleeve style I ended up with, I doubt they would fit.

Cost of materials $12

viewed 659 times | helped 1 person
Finished
January 1 2010
May 18 2010
 
About this pattern
Camden
by Ashley Adams Moncrief
from Knitty, Fall 2008
LisaKereliuk's star rating
LisaKereliuk's difficulty rating
438 projects, in 2491 queues
About this yarn
Canadiana Solids (Vintage)
by Patons North America
Worsted / 10 ply
100% Acrylic
241 yards / 100 grams
LisaKereliuk's star rating
4723 projects, stashed 2856 times
  • Project created: May 17, 2010
  • Finished: May 18, 2010
  • Updated: October 30, 2011