12/21/13 - swatching, swatching, swatching. I’m fairly sure there’s no way I’ll use the recommended size 9 needles for this; I’m way too loose a knitter. Trying 7’s and 8’s. I’m surprised that I actually kind of like how it’s working on the 8’s… we’ll see once it’s washed and blocked.
12/23/13 - 7’s and 8’s still too loose, I should have gone with my original instinct and swatched on 6’s… which is what I’m doing now. (Fabric on 8’s a little too holey; 7’s made a nice drapey fabric but once in a sweater I’m sure it would stretch out a whole lot more and also be too holey.)
Swatch on size 6
Before washing: 19 sts = 3 5/8”; 7.25 rows per inch
After washing: 19 sts = 4”; 7.5 rows per inch (30 rows = 4”)
1/19/14 - Ready to start the bottom ribbing on the body. I’ll be working k1, (p2, k2) to last 3 sts, p2, k1 to keep it symmetrical (instead of having a k2 on one end and a p2 on the other).
1/23/14 - finished body
1/24/14 - started right sleeve
The armhole opening/shoulder was looking a bit small, even though I’m using shoulder/sleeve stitch counts for a larger size. Held it up to one of my store-bought cardigans that fits well, and it’s definitely smaller, so I tried it on - fits, not too tight, but it is slightly smaller than I was hoping. I had only done two of the sleeve decreases, so I decided not to do any more decreases, at least for now. I’ll try it on again when I get close to the elbow, might decrease a little for the forearm to wrist, but probably not as much as pattern states.
2/2/14 - finished right sleeve
2/3/14 - started left sleeve
2/15/14 - finished left sleeve
2/16/14 - started & finished right front edging
3/8/14 - started & finished left front edging; started neckband edging
3/11/14 - all done!!! (Just need to block it.)