NimbleNim's projects
The Dragon's Tale
November 4 2014
November 5 2014
Project info
The Dragon's Tale
The Dragon's Tale by Nim Teasdale
Needles & yarn
US 5 - 3.75 mm
Solstice Yarns Sea Fey
0.94 skeins = 218.1 yards (199.4 meters), 94 grams

Here be dragon!!!

Apologies for the ridiculous amount of notes in here. It seems to have accidentally turned into a knitting journal.

In brief, this was the first test of the dragon’s tale, in this case a narrow scarfy version for dk or bulkier yarns.

Next I’ll adapt this for a fingering weight shawl with a deeper v and wider edging.

Tail barb is optional in both cases, and both the I cord and the tip size can be adapted. :) I just couldn’t resist it.

The head was added later, just because once it had a tail, I couldn’t resist. I put it in its own project page as I thought ts one had enough going on already.

I knit the head on the same size needles, but much tighter because I only had a little yarn left and was afraid of running out, so this dragon has a little bouffant where I joined the head on. The pattern is written so that you can start at the head and continue right to the tail, rather than graft the head on as I did.

For anyone wondering about the eyes used in the FO, they are 16mm diameter.

30/10 - Ok, well, a brief hiatus while I get hold of some heavier, less contrasty yarn, as rigorous swatching revealed that my beloved Eowyn was a little too light and busy. :(

1/11 - while waiting for the postie, I’ve been tinkering around with this and sorting out the details on the chart, finessing the start and ending - and I’ve made a little tail! It’s so cute! It knits up like a mermaids tail, and once you’ve bound off, you give a little tug to the tip and it forms a cute little broad arrowhead shape. Give a firmer tug to all 3 points at once and the edge rolls up into a perfect little barb! :D

Come on Mr Postman!

Happy mail arrived yesterday morning. :D

Cake weighs 104/5 g

Turning at the halfway mark 52g, fortunately this came exactly halfway through a repeat, so the increase and numbers work perfectly.

This will make a fairly small dragon, but I don’t think I can wait to have more sent down.Might knit a bigger one later using the bronze colour, with increases every 4 instead of every 6 rows.

20g end of second full rep (plus set up)
36g end of third rep (77rem)
(64rem) end fourth rep - decided to begin decreases halfway through next repeat, which will keep the total st count balanced. 2 g per segment. This also places the outermost point of the wave at the centre. :)

Yay, made it (at 1 am, delayed by a hunt for a missing chicken) with yarn to spare in the end. :)

Proper pics once its dry.

Measures 130 x 25 cm at deepest point. Maybe this is the baby dragon.

Then onto the next one - larger, with a deeper edging and steeper curve. :)

Tail detail pics show tail complete on needle before BO, then flat immediately after BO, compared to red tail, which had its corners pulled firmly to make the edges roll in neatly.

viewed 1333 times | helped 6 people
November 4 2014
November 5 2014
About this pattern
NimbleNim's star rating
NimbleNim's difficulty rating
164 projects, in 376 queues
About this yarn
by Solstice Yarns
50% Merino, 50% Silk
232 yards / 100 grams
NimbleNim's star rating

69 projects

stashed 134 times

  • Project created: October 28, 2014
  • Finished: November 6, 2014
  • Updated: March 4, 2017
  • Progress updates: 4 updates