This is a CKW KAL in January! Many of the girls are excited to steek this as a cardigan, but I always end up sewing my cardigans together, so I may just do a pullover…we’ll see.
I’ve listed the amounts of yarn I started with for this one, but not what it actually took. As for the yoke, it took just over one skein of the main color, and I’m guessing about 15g of the chroma and 5g of the gray solid…?
Provisional cast on 358 (not 362)…64 for each sleeve, 117 for front and 113 for back…and work yoke as written for cardigan, bottom up (but it still may be a pullover).
Pulled in a third yarn, a gray from my stash, for the beginning, middle and end of the colorwork…I think it will pull everything together.
After colorwork, rather than straight knitting to round 60, on round 55 I started in with a couple short rows to lengthen the back neckline area…I knit around through 6 pattern reps, W&T the next st; purled through 3 pattern reps, W&T the next st; knit until 5sts before last W&T, W&T next st; purled to 5sts before last W&T, W&T next st; knit to beginning, picking up wraps and knitting them with the stitch they wrapped, then did 2 more rounds (picking up wraps and knitting them with the stitch they wrapped) before final decreases and ribbing.
Final decreases for neckline, I decreased 36 (not 40), to give myself a little extra head room…this will be a pullover.
Faux placket -
Picked up and knit 3sts for every 4 rows on the yoke, 1x1 rib for 8 rows, tubular bind off (just like the neckline) and sewed the placket down over the “steek” stitches.
When I picked up my provisionally cast on stitches, I had 118 for the front, and 114 for the back. I added two sts to the back, so I was then working with the 362 the pattern has listed at this point. Then I knit plain for 20 rows until I started into the waist decreases. I’m planning to work the pattern in reverse from there…
01.13.14 -(amended 02.04.14) time to make the sleeves! I picked up 65sts from holders, plus 15 under the arm. Knit two rounds, and start counting on first decrease round. Make decreases on this round 1, then dec every 10 rounds 5x (50 rnds), then every 8 rounds 6x. Knit to 60 rnds, start colorwork for cuff.
After sleeve colorwork, knit 10 rounds plain, then 16 rounds rib and 4 round tubular bind off.
01.17.13 -Sooo, I brought the sweater to knit night to be sure…it is too short. The shaping falls in the right place, but I need more length. Originally, I was not sure I would have enough yarn to make it as long as I wanted, and I did not want to short the sleeves, so I stopped here…but now I think I will rip out the ribbing and add at least two more inches to this one.
02.05.14 - Finished! Soaking now, maybe wear it tomorrow! Thank you, Snow Day!!!
By the way, others have said that the sleeves on this are tight, and I have to agree. I considered ripping the first sleeve out and re-knitting, with fewer decreases. In the end, I just ripped out the cuff and colorwork, omitting only one decrease. The sleeves are still snug…but to fix this properly, I’d have to go back to the start, and cast on more sleeve stitches…and I’m just not gonna do that. I think I’ll still wear it. :)