SewTechnicolor's projects
Mossy Antler Cardigan
Finished
June 14 2015
July 8 2015
Project info
Mossy Antler Cardigan
Antler Cardigan by tincanknits
Knitting
Me
Medium
Needles & yarn
US 6 - 4.0 mm
US 7 - 4.5 mm
Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Tweed
165 yards in stash
10.5 skeins = 1155.0 yards (1056.1 meters), 525 grams
153588
Green
Knit Picks
November 24, 2014
Notes

7/7: It’s finished! I didn’t knit the button bands to be quite 2”…I think they were closer to 1.5”. Also, the 3 stitch button hole was looking too big, so I switched it to a 2 stitch. I love this sweater so much! The fit is perfect and it was a pleasure to knit. (Fingers crossed it doesn’t grow when I block it.) My buttons are supposed to arrive today, so I’ll sew them on, weave in the ends, and hopefully have my new cardigan blocking by tonight!

7/5: Finished neckline. Picked up stitches for left button band and knitted about 1.5” of it so far. I ordered my antler buttons from Etsy yesterday…hopefully they’ll be here within a few days!

7/3: Added an extra antler cable to the yoke and I’m about halfway through with the decrease cables. I’ve tried on the sweater and the fit looks perfect! I’m really hoping it doesn’t stretch out with blocking…also, it seems that my fear of running out of yarn was unfounded. I currently have two and a half skeins left. :)

6/30: Finished the body and joined the sleeves. I’m hoping the sweater is going to be long enough (my last one from this yarn grew 3 inches so I’m resisting the temptation to knit the body longer just in case that happens again). Tomorrow I’ll start the yoke!

6/27: About 12” into the body! Though this pattern doesn’t include shaping, I needed to decrease 16 stitches throughout the body to get back to the M size. Starting about .5” into the stockinette, I’m doing 4 sets of mirrored decreases. Decreasing 2 st. at each “side seam” (I put a marker 42 st. from the fronts, which according to the pattern should be at the underarm point, so that’s my imaginary side seam). I’m doing the decreases 4” apart, so the last one will be a couple of inches before the underarms. My gauge is a bit loose at times, so I think I’ll be glad I went with a smaller size.

6/21: Finished second sleeve (after having to redo the ribbing because I forgot to switch back to sz. 6 needles). Casting on the body! I’m casting on the stitch count for large because of my hips, and then I’ll gradually decrease back to medium again.

6/19: Finished first sleeve and cast on second one.

Mods so far: the sleeves were looking too big when I tried them on after knitting about four or five inches past the ribbing. So I used Diana505’s mods for the sleeves: after first increase, knit 10 rows in between the next 5 increases, then 8 rows between the last 3 increases. Also, I like longer sleeves (and I have long arms), so I knit to 20” instead of 19”.

6/14: Casting on the first sleeve!


I’m right in the middle of the medium and large sizes. Since most of my sweaters turn out too big and I know that WOTA has a tendency to grow when blocking, I’m going to take a risk and go with the medium size. Hopefully it’ll work out!

Size 7 needles to get gauge. Size 6 for ribbing.

viewed 396 times | helped 4 people
Finished
June 14 2015
July 8 2015
About this pattern
SewTechnicolor's star rating
SewTechnicolor's difficulty rating
2355 projects, in 3157 queues
About this yarn
by Knit Picks
Worsted
80% Wool, 20% Other
110 yards / 50 grams
SewTechnicolor's star rating

4957 projects

stashed 3541 times

  • Project created: June 14, 2015
  • Finished: July 9, 2015
  • Updated: July 28, 2015
  • Progress updates: 7 updates