7/21/2011 - Finished two swatches. I could not decide which color combination that I wanted to use. I made two swatches to see which one I liked better, I like the gray color on top of the brown color. This will be the color combination that I will knit up for this pattern. I used a size 4 US needle but I think I am going to use a size 5 US for the project. The swatches in the photos are unwashed and unblocked.
7/22/2011 - Washed and blocked my swatches. This yarn is so soft!
7/24/2011 - FINALLY started my Catkin!!! So, far, so good!
7/29/2011 - I was on row 42 and noticed that I was totally off on my stitch count. Note to self: Don’t knit and video chat with my niece. Lol! I frogged back to row 30 because I could not figure out how to fix my mistake. I was all good on row 30. I am now back on row 41. Other note to self: Use another set of stitch markers to keep better track of the stitch count.
8/6/2011 - Started Section Two.
I had some trouble starting Chart 1. I enlarged the chart to make it easier to read. It’s a great chart, I just had a problem getting into the rhythm of things. I felt a little lost for some reason but once I started to see the pattern in my knitting, I was off and running!
I had tried carrying the color up the side prior to chart 1 but I didn’t like how it was looking. When my stitch count was off, I decided to follow Slinder’s example and carry the unused color up 1-2 stitches in from the edge underneath. It really does hide the carrys under the shawl edge and I like the way it looks now. And not to be a total copy cat but I also followed Slinder’s idea for making the buttonholes one stitch further in from the edge. Thanks for the help Slinder!
I also LOVE knitting with the yarn I am using. It is so soft and dreamy!
8/11/11 - Yet another note: I plan on adding length to my Catkin. I forgot that if I do lengthen it, I will need extra buttons!
8/14/2011 - I finished Section 2 today. I am deciding whether or not to lengthen my project. I was really surprised to find out that I had all of the 409 total stitches and all in the right places! Yay!
8/16/2011 - I decided to lengthen my project by 20 rows and I have created a chart. I just used up the third ball of gray yarn after two rows of my new chart. Up to this point I have only used one ball of the brown yarn.
8/21/2011 - FINALLY finished section 2. Those rows got really long!!!
8/22/2011 - I have color coded my stitch markers so I can see what chart I should be using. right pink, left side yellow. I used blue for the middle sections.
8/27/2011 - I finished my Catkin!!! I used Jeny’s surprisingly stretchy bind off with needle size US 4. I did the purl version. This took a while to get done. I am very happy with this project. I love the colors and the type of yarn that I chose.
8/30/2011 - Finished blocking and I am now adding the buttons! Yay! I changed my mind on which buttons to use. I posted a picture of all my button choices. I ended up using buttons that I purchased from Village Wools in Albuquerque, NM.
9/1/2011 - I will post better pictures soon. The yarn colors do not look accurate in these pictures. The most accurate looking colors are in the last photo of the alternate swatch color combination.
9/13/2011 - My friend Patsi was kind enough to model my Catkin.