I have been admiring this sweater forever!
Using Ysolda’s tubular cast-on, demonstrated here.
Arms: After colourwork section arm measures 4.75 inches. Will knit both arms to this point, separately, and then knit them two-at-a-time.
I worked on this for about two weeks in February before the colour got me down (too much grey outside to knit with grey inside). I’m picking this back up as my #sskal14 project! Officially starting back at it Aug. 4.
Aug. 15: Finished the arms!
Aug. 16: I used this tubular cast-on method for the body. It’s slower than Ysolda’s, but easier to manage over hundreds of stitches.
Just when I thought I was finished I tried it on and discovered that, as many others have mentioned, the yoke is too deep. I was surprised, since my row gauge is spot on (for once), but when I knit as directed the collar ended up a mock turtle neck and the shoulders sloped too far. I ripped it out to five rows above the colourwork, knit one row to ensure all the stitches were there, and then did the second decrease row (about six rows after decrease row 1). Then I knit 5 rows before starting the short rows. I found the back of the neck on my first attempt to be weirdly high, so I followed the short-row directions for the size up (to make them wider) and only did four sets (instead of five). I knit an extra plain row and then did the third decrease row.
Having learned my lesson on the first go around, I tried it on before starting the ribbing. Perfect fit in the shoulders! I switched to the ribbing needle and knit one round before starting the ribbing, which I knit as directed.