alexand's projects
Color Dipped Hat
Finished
October 17 2015
December 24 2015
Project info
Color Dipped Hat
Color Dipped Hat by Purl Soho
Knitting
A
Halfway between toddler/kid and teen/adult small
Needles & yarn
US 2 - 2.75 mm
248 yards = 1.42 skeins
Koigu Premium Merino (KPM)
329 yards in stash
0.24 skeins = 42.0 yards (38.4 meters), 12 grams
21
Blue
DBNY - Discontinued Brand Name Yarn
Koigu Premium Merino (KPM)
81 yards in stash
1.18 skeins = 206.5 yards (188.8 meters), 59 grams
3 x 578, 1 x 577
Black
DBNY - Discontinued Brand Name Yarn
Notes

Tips, tricks and helpful hints:
-Swatch. Just do it.
-Select your size carefully. The sizes in the pattern as written run large, in my opinion. This pattern has an unbelievable amount of stretch to it. I would recommend a couple of inches of negative ease. That’s enough to help it fit right without stretching the rib too much and distorting it.
-Insert lifelines periodically. It’s not impossible to fix mistakes, but it is a major, major pain. For me, it was seriously faster and easier to rip out rows instead of dropping ladders and working them back up.
-Work the decreases snugly. They have a tendency to loosen and gap.
-If you knit continental (I don’t), don’t hesitate to knit this in sock weight yarn. If you are an English knitter (like me), you might consider knitting it in a heavier weight yarn. It is slo-o-o-o-w, even if you’re generally a reasonably quick knitter.
-Lastly, knit this hat! There’s a lot of bang for your knitting buck here. It looks seriously awesome when complete!

12/24/15 At long last, this is completely done, blocking and all. It got softer and silkier feeling after blocking. It’s en route to its recipient. I hope he likes it!

12/7 #2 Just wove in all the ends.

12/7/15 I just worked the last round! Will hopefully finish and block today!

12/2/15 Oh em gee I’m finally about to start the crown decreases! It’s at about 9”. I’m definitely glad I ripped it out and cast on fewer stitches. It fits just right now.

11/30/15 STILL working on this. I managed to mess up a whole section of it and by the time I found it, it was several rows deep. Since this pattern doesn’t lend itself well to repairs, I put in a lifeline and pulled back probably two inches or more. It hurt, let me tell you. Anyway, I’m back up to just shy of 7”. I will finish this! I’m determined!

11/12/15 Still slogging away at this! It’s slow going because now that I’m just working with the charcoal, I really need daylight to be able to work on it. Most of my knitting time is in the evening so this has gotten a little neglected. In any case, it’s up to about 6.5 or 6.75” and I’m about to start on the next skein of charcoal.

I’m really glad I ripped it out and restarted. The size is looking MUCH better.

11/2/15 I’m making slow progress on this. I put it on hold for a few days while working on other stuff. It’s up to about 3.5”. The pattern calls for 3” in two colors, but I’m going to continue with the light blue until the skein I’m on runs out. That way I know I’ll have enough of the charcoal to make it the length I want it to be.

The new, smaller size seems better. It’s on a 16” needle so it’s a little hard to tell, but it doesn’t seem as huge as the last one was. For reference, when I took the last one off the needles, I measured it before I ripped it out. It was about 22” around unstretched. Stretched, it made it to over 40” easily.

10/27/15 I ripped it out and started over! This time I went down 1.5 sizes. I’ll modify the decreases a smidge since I’m between sizes.

10/25/15 Gonna frog and redo: https://alexandknits.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/to-frog-or-...

10/21/15 Finished the two color portion and am now working with just the charcoal. I made the brim a little longer than 3”. It’s on the large side but I think it will be okay. I’m just going to go for long and skinny when I block it!

10/19/15 This is slow going, but very cool. I’m about two inches in. It’s super squishy and thick and the colors look awesome.

10/17/15 This was a little tricky to get going on. I cast on using my standard (Tillybuddy’s very stretchy cast on) since it’s in 1x1 rib. Initially I did one setup row and started the pattern on the second row. It wasn’t working well to knit into the stitch from the row below--something with the cast on I used was complicating things. I ripped out and restarted. Since the setup row and first pattern row are both in the CC, I just did 1x1 rib for them both and will start the pattern on row 3 with the MC.

viewed 416 times | helped 12 people
Finished
October 17 2015
December 24 2015
 
About this pattern
523 projects, in 1114 queues
alexand's overall rating
alexand's clarity rating
alexand's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Koigu
Fingering
100% Merino
175 yards / 50 grams

10045 projects

stashed 11147 times

alexand's star rating
  • Originally queued: October 13, 2015
  • Project created: October 17, 2015
  • Finished: December 24, 2015
  • Updated: May 19, 2016
  • Progress updates: 14 updates