bioartist's projects
Toorie
Finished
July 27 2012
August 11 2012
Project info
Toorie
Toorie by Carina Spencer
Knitting
me
small gauge
Needles & yarn
US 3 - 3.25 mm
US 5 - 3.75 mm
Indigodragonfly Merino Silk DK
295 yards in stash
1.16 skeins = 255.2 yards (233.4 meters), 116 grams
Purple
Indigodragonfly in Haliburton, Ontario
June 2, 2012
Notes

Using #3 16” Addi circs and Destiny circs

When I started the ribbed brim I was running out of room on the Addi circs, so I swtiched to my Destiny circs which are longer - made it sooooo much easier to manage. I think I was supposed to pick up the stitches with the slipped stitches showing on the right side, but I did it with them hidden on the wrong side. I could have corrected it, but there were a couple places where I had forgotten to slip the first stitch, so it looked a bit messy - all the better it stays hidden. I initially tried binding off the ribbed border with JSSBO, but it turned out looking too ruffly so I re-did it using a regular knitted BO in pattern using #5 needles instead. It still turned out a tad curly on the corners, so next time I could start and finish with the regular needle size to tighten up the corners and do the majority of the middle of the BO with 2 needle sizes larger to maintain the stretchiness of the ribbing.

This was by far the biggest pain-in-the-ass project of the Ravellenics roster. I thought it would be my favorite since I loved swatching with the yarn so much, but the gauge was just too tight to be enjoyable. It was on-gauge for the pattern, but it seemed too dense for the yarn. If I use this yarn again for this pattern I think I would try modifying it to fit a looser gauge. The large gauge would probably be too large for DK yarn, but I could swatch it and see what it looks like…

In addition to angering my hands, I was constantly plagued with doubts about how it was knitting up. The fabric seemed too thick and I didn’t think it would drape right. The crown was knitted flat and was too wide for my 16” circs and I constantly had to wrestle it to keep stitches from jumping off the needles. The crown also looked too wide for my head and I feared it would end up looking baggy instead of slouchy. I also had doubts it would fit around my head as it looked WAAAAY too big once it was off the needles and I didn’t think gathering the side would be enough to offset that big of a size difference. I was also still ambivalent about the use of pom-poms. They normally seem so tacky, but the photo makes them look so stylish, but I don’t know if I could pull them off, blah, blah, self doubt.

Once I got it off the needles, fearing the fabric felt too stiff I tried wet-blocking it by letting it dry on the glass head that is about an inch smaller in circumference than my own head. The doubly-thick casing took forever to dry, so it too ended up on my bed in front of the fan

The pom-poms were surprisingly fun to make and I am unnaturally proud of how perfect they turned out! If one is going to make pom-poms, using silky hand-dyed yarn infinately increases the class factor. Those pom-poms are PERFECT.

Up until I attached the pom-poms I was ready to declare this hat a failure, but once I cinched that side shut and stuck it on my head I was shocked to find a freakin’ adorable hat had emerged from that pile of ugh. It’s not baggy, it’s slouchy. The band fits perfectly and isn’t too big for my head. I CAN pull off pom-poms if they are perfect little balls of Kim-yarn fuzz. The fabric could stand to be a bit more drapey, but it doesn’t look or feel nearly as stiff as I made it out to be in my head. I still think I would re-gauge in the future to better suit this yarn (and my hands), but I’m declaring this particular hat a success.

132g left

viewed 62 times | helped 1 person
Finished
July 27 2012
August 11 2012
 
About this pattern
352 projects, in 815 queues
bioartist's overall rating
bioartist's clarity rating
bioartist's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Indigodragonfly
DK
50% Merino, 50% Silk
220 yards / 100 grams

177 projects

stashed 459 times

bioartist's star rating
  • Originally queued: April 2, 2012
  • Project created: July 12, 2012
  • Finished: August 12, 2012
  • Updated: November 12, 2014
  • Progress updates: 9 updates