Did I really make this? Giving myself a little pat on the back and reminding myself that I used to love to make intricate, labour-intensive things before the invisible dangling hammer hit.
Starting a jumper based on a picture in Mary-Jane Mucklestone’s 200 fair-isle designs. It is an original Shetland jumper supposedly from the 1890’s.
Ordered 11 skeins in total because the colour ratios were quite unfortunate. I calculated 37% red, 30% indigo, 17% undyed, 12,6 % black, 3,2 % yellow, but that is based on main chart alone, not the cuffs and collar.
Assuming a sweater needs approx. 8 skeins, I ordered
2 black (because calculations tell me I need 1,008 skeins :( )
Let’s just hope I have enough
14 november 2013:
I have the wool in my posession!! YEAS!
March 31st 2013:
I have done my first steeks ever this weekend, I used a crocheted reinforcement. It was exciting, and all in all I did well, but it turns out te be a little more unstable as a fabric edge than I thought. After I cut the steeks there were some floats that had come undone at the back, and I had to salvage them. It was a bit scary. I hope they will felt soon. I have also grafted the shoulders together and that looks super clean and neat within the colourwork. I have tried to make the cuffs and hem in a way that doesn’t curl up like corrugated rib usually does, and I think I did an OK job.
When it comes to the amount of yarn I am clearly not in trouble, I have loads left, but no ball is unused, so my calculations were right.