Gauge: stockinette stitch, 9 stitches per inch.
This is a rich burgundy-purply red yarn but I lost the label so I don’t know the dye lot.
The yarn is smooshy soft but I probably should have chosen a more firmly spun yarn for this pattern. The yarn becomes splitty when using the US 0 needles to make the twisted stitch cables.
The pattern itself is absolutely gorgeous and I love this introduction to Bavarian cables.
I worked on this quite a bit in September when I was traveling in England, but after I got back home, I had so much work to do that I put it aside for a while (I didn’t do a lot of knitting during the last 3 months of 2012). However, after finishing my projects in January, I picked it up again in February.
The pattern is amazingly stretchy and I’m worried I’ll run out of yarn because the leg was so long (but I didn’t want to shorten the leg because the cabling is so pretty!). So I decided to rip back to where I was decreasing for the foot and decrease even further. I have a narrow foot so I could decrease the sole a bit more.
2/18/2013: I kept decreasing the foot and measuring it against my foot. This pattern is amazingly stretchy and I found that no matter how much I decreased, the foot fit fine and was even a little loose. Finally at 74 stitches, I stopped decreasing and knit in the pattern until 2” before the length of my foot. I chose 74 stitches because at that point, there are 24 stockinette stitches at the sole, which just fits the bottom of my foot, and the cabling pattern only just starts to curve under the sides of my foot.
3/3/2013: For toe, decreased on instep each round until the same number of stitches as sole, then decreased both sole and instep until 32 stitches left, kitchener stitch to finish. Completed both socks with only a few grams of yarn to spare. This is a beautiful pattern!