My son loves it, and it is the perfect size for him right now with a little room for growth.
I did a bit of pattern tweaking to tidy up the look of it a bit:
- used black as a contrast for the garter hem edges
- used black for the pocket lining (intarsia)
- Omitted the k3 garter border on the pocket edges and hood edge, and picked up and knitted a garter border in black instead.
- omitted the three purl stitch motif between the vertical diamond columns
- only did two columns of diamonds on the sleeve (didn’t do partial ones along the underarm seam)
- worked the body to whole diamond motifs (omitting partial diamonds, except along the shoulder seam line), and finishing off the partial diamonds at the back neck when I was working the hood
- Making the sleeves longer- they looked 3/4ish on the picture of the pattern, so I made them as long as I could. I ran out of yarn, so at the top of the sleeve just worked in stocking stitch (not enough yarn to work a full diamond motif) and then sewed the live stitches into the armhole. It was a bit of a fiddle- I had to lay it out flat, but it worked really well.