I let the color transitions dictate how I made the shawl.
The colors of the yarn were:
Started as directed by the pattern, but did not have enough solid red to make it to row 24. So, I stopped Section 1 just before the first color change.
I did Section 2 until the red color ran out.
I did section three until I ran out of black/white variegated.
And it wasn’t until about this point that I realized that I had poached some of the solid black color for another shawl. So, I didn’t have much solid black, and I realized I didn’t have enough for the border. I just made up my own border.
I basically did a 4-treble crochet cluster in the stitch above the sc in the row before slip stitches. Then I chained 4, slip stitch at the top of the chain-5 space, chain 4, and repeat.