Lots of mods!
I wasn’t too keen on the garter stitch sleeves or lots of seaming, so I reduced the pattern down to just teh panel with cables, and knitted that separately. I did a slipped selvedge edge thanks to technitter and when the back panel was finished, I picked up 1 stitch per row, and knitted the sleeves in stockinette in the round. I finished off the sleeves and also picked up 140 stitches around the main edge and did a few rows using the border used in Fantasy, another pattern in the same book.
I thought it was going to be too small but the lace bits really stretched out and ended up too wide, even without blocking - I could have easily got away with one less cable section on the back. It’s a bit saggy under the arms now, but still lovely and warm.