This is a continuation of my newfound obsession with weaving deflected doubleweave on my rigid heddle loom. This one is interesting because the front and back are completely different patterns. This first picture is the front, the second is the back, and the third is a detailed shot of the flower motif.
Done with two 10-dent heddles and a pick-up stick. I copied the motif from here.
I had several, very frustrating false starts on this one. It turns out that it’s more difficult than it would seem to copy a deflected doubleweave pattern with only a picture of the finished product to go off of!
The correct warping would have been 6 blue, 12 grey, 6 blue, 6 grey, 12 blue, 6 grey, 6 blue, 6 grey, 6 blue, 6 grey, 12 blue, 6 grey, 6 blue, 12 grey, 6 blue. I goofed on this, so what you see does not precisely follow that warping.
This draft is more complex than my previous deflected double weave project, in that some picks go over half of the stretch of opposite color, and under the other half. You may be able to see this in close up shot I took of the flower motif. I’ll eventually put together more detailed notes, but I’d be happy to answer questions in the meantime, though, if anyone is feeling brave enough to try this one.
I love the way the Colourmart yarn wove up, but the WM looks stringy, particularly in the longer floats on the back. I wonder if some more intense fulling might fix this, but I’m concerned that I might end up with some differential shrinking. Still, the motif is very apparent, it’s just from up close that the threads look a bit sparse. I also tried not to beat the yarns too tightly as I suspect I did with my last attempt at deflected double weave.