spring roses
Finished
March 1, 2014
March 31, 2014

spring roses

Project info
Spring Roses - in Vienna (the socks) by Kamilla
Knitting
Feet / LegsSocksKnee-highs
Feet / LegsSocksMid-calf
38
Needles & yarn
US 2½ - 3.0 mm
585 yards
Cascade Yarns ® Heritage Paints
0.64 skeins = 279.7 yards (255.7 meters), 64 grams
2J1129
Blue
Cascade Yarns ® Heritage Silk
0.7 skeins = 305.9 yards (279.7 meters), 70 grams
201397
Natural/Undyed
Notes

my achilles heel! knee-high colorwork socks… i must have them! flipping the pattern to work toe-up, and 2aat, of course - i’m not set in my ways or anything (;

isle of skye skein was a gift from my mom, and the limestone was a special treat for myself… trying to remind myself that the yarn i hold below is the dominant color. and then also trying to decide whether i want to swap dominance for the back of leg/bottom of foot? among the many exciting things i did, i held the blue dominant for the roses but white dominant for the spots… i can tell… i swear i’m not a crazy person though it can sometimes feel like it when i’m trying to tell non-knitters about why this is important /:


roses in blue, remembering loves lost
ground cloaked in white, celebrating loves’ lives


to keep my eyes occupied before casting on, isle of skye FOs


ok so here’s what i did!

i read the entire pattern, decided how i was going to progress from one chart to he next, and decided that my happy stitch count (given colorwork in sockweight on these needles) is 64sts. so i made the charts agree with that, and analyzed the options for a toe-up cast on & then made the charts kind of work in my favor for that, too (for jmco i usually use 12 to 14 sts per needle, so i just started further up on a toebox chart)

once i’d started, it was fairly straight forward until i got to the heel. i debated using a mini gusset & short row heel (similar to the one i borrowed in my talbot socks) but in the end i…. just decided not to, for various reasons. then i attempted a short row heel several times before finally conceding that it was never going to work out satisfactorily. so that left me with an afterthought heel like the pattern uses, unfortunately i dislike afterthought heels for several reasons and decided to do something creative! (and oh, how i looked on it with trepidation every step of the way!) when i got to the point i wanted to start the heel, i knit across those stitches with waste yarn. and then worked back across binding off the waste yarn. at the end/beginning, i chained a few stitches, then used a crochet provisional cast on & then worked back across those stitches to be back where my working yarn started, chained a few more & stuck a stitch holder through the last loop, and then continued on in pattern. so… a placeholder for my heel, just not closed up so i could continue to try it on as i went!

then again, delightfully straight forward until the calf increases, which i started when i normally would for any custom knee-high socks specific to my legs, and decided to use cat bordhi’s la-link & la-rink increases. they look alright. not quite so tidy as it might be as decreases had i worked cuff-down, but still not something anyone will ever probably notice or care about except me (;

it did get tricky when i’d realized i would complete the front leg chart before i finished the calf shaping chart… but i just counted up my remaining rows & found a suitable stretch of chart to work on otherwise.

for the elastic casing, i’d decided not to do single color ribbing & instead worked 1 round even in solid CC to make it easy on myself when grafting it closed, and then adjusted the stitch count slightly to accommodate the spots pattern repeat. 8 rounds in pattern, then purled a round in pattern (may very well have been the worst bit of the whole process, actually - two color purling in pattern… sheesh!) then another 7 rounds in pattern (so when folded on the purl line, it appears as 8 rounds & matches the outter portion) i gave everything a gentle steam on my blockers to get things organized, grafted closed around 11¾ inches of ⅝ths inch elastic, broke the yarn & wove in ends!

ohhhshoot, but then i still had the heels. bugger. one of the many reasons i prefer the toe-up sock is that when i finish at the cuff, i’m Done… not so this time. i picked up my stitches, removed waste yarn, and worked an afterthought heel as per pattern. grafted with one color & duplicate stitched on the second! worked like a charm.

huzzah!


589 yards
hpkchc winter2014 arithmancy
graded … 34 bonus points!!
(that yardage extra credit is where it's At!!)

viewed 17694 times | helped 48 people
Finished
March 1, 2014
March 31, 2014
 
About this pattern
34 projects, in 401 queues
frimptes' overall rating
frimptes' clarity rating
frimptes' difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Cascade Yarns ®
Fingering
75% Merino, 25% Nylon
437 yards / 100 grams

14140 projects

stashed 11482 times

frimptes' star rating
About this yarn
by Cascade Yarns ®
Fingering
85% Merino, 15% Silk
437 yards / 100 grams

15855 projects

stashed 11204 times

frimptes' star rating
  • Originally queued: January 26, 2014
  • Project created: March 2, 2014
  • Finished: March 31, 2014
  • Updated: April 9, 2014
  • Progress updates: 5 updates