I recently decided to actually DO something with all of my acrylic scrap yarn so I’ve decided to make a granny square afghan. I’m following the directions for the squares found on the PurlBee.com website.
7/13 - These are 5” squares. I want a large, adult-sized afghan (50”x70”) which means I’ll need 140 total squares. I’ve made 15 squares as of today. This is definitely going to be a long term project.
2/14 - Made 6 more grannies.
2/19- Realized that I’ll need only 88 motifs because once I crochet around and join the squares they will be about 6” instead of only 5”. I’ve made 27 so far.
4/4 - 48 of 88 squares completed. Only 40 more to go! This is becoming monotonous but the end is in sight.
4/10 - 64 squares completed: 24 more to go.
4/17 - Finished! I got sick of making and joining squares so instead of 8 rows of 14 I made the blanket 8 rows of 8 - a square. It’s soft and cuddly. I bordered the blanket with a round of single crochet followed by a round of reverse single crochet.