hobbular > notebook > projects > SUCH VEST

Project info
VBV by Isa Webb
Needles & yarn
US 5 - 3.75 mm
Bernat Super Value Solids (New)
1 skein = 426.0 yards (389.5 meters), 197 grams
1311 100884
Craft Smart Value Solids
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Solids, Heathers & Twists
1 skein = 170.0 yards (155.4 meters), 100 grams
Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Solids, Heathers & Twists

Doge inspiration from a qwertee shirt by Gordon Brebner Designs; chart removed at the request of the artist. Please contact me for more information.

Worked up through the first occurrence of chart 2 in the round, then split off the front and the back to work flat (intarsia in the round would require purling fair isle anyway, so while this will have more ends to weave in, the seams will be on the side).

Added two additional decrease rounds at rows 35 and 38 of the main section (after final patterned decrease at round 32). Used p2tog for both decreases on front as they happened on WS rows.

Began v-neck at row 71, working decreases starting at row 73. Began armhole shaping at row 81, binding off 3st on front panel (plan to bind off 6st on back on each side, but we’ll see how that works). Had 29st between BO and k2tog rather than patterned 31, but starting armhole decreases with 30st on each side as patterned. Decreasing every RS row for neck until 12st remain, then an additional 20 rows, ending WS.

Did eyes in duplicate stitch, because I didn’t feel like juggling more bobbins right then. As my roommate will attest, there was a pretty epic yarn pile on the couch while I was making this…

Picking up 52st around the armholes. Tried 92 and it was way too loose.

Lessons learned: Yes, my gauge was far too loose for some reason; ended up with 19st per 10cm, even with US5 instead of US7. But of course I didn’t swatch, because ain’t nobody got time for that. End result = a bit of positive ease.

The armholes and neck were a bit too tight, but they’ve stretched out a bit as I’m wearing the vest. I ended up basically picking up one stitch for every two rows, and I probably should have gone with a 3:4 ratio instead.

viewed 3506 times | helped 2 people
December 21 2013
December 25 2013
About this pattern
hobbular's star rating
hobbular's difficulty rating
14 projects, in 66 queues
About this yarn
by Lion Brand
100% Acrylic
170 yards / 100 grams
hobbular's star rating

135405 projects

stashed 50608 times

About this yarn
by Craft Smart
100% Acrylic
364 yards / 198 grams
hobbular's star rating

3097 projects

stashed 1353 times

About this yarn
by Bernat
100% Acrylic
426 yards / 197 grams
hobbular's star rating

5625 projects

stashed 2297 times

  • Originally queued: December 20, 2013
  • Project created: December 21, 2013
  • Finished: December 25, 2013
  • Updated: November 19, 2015
  • Progress updates: 5 updates