indigorchid's projects
Burton Bear Cowl
January 26 2014
March 14 2014
Project info
Burton Bear Cowl
Burton Bear Cowl by Heidi May
kid size
Needles & yarn
US 10 - 6.0 mm
Garnstudio DROPS Eskimo

26th of January 2014:
Cast on ca 80 sts. I’ve seen from the project page that the cowl part looks kind of narrow, and I actually love the cape-shape from the pattern image. I have the kiddo’s measurements, so I figure I’ll reduce a bit from here to get the right number for the hood part. Also, I don’t have needles in a big enough size, so I anticipate the fabric being denser than intended even though the yarn is the right size.

11th of February 2014:
Restart - I didn’t like the dense fabric, and bought bigger needles. They are still smaller than called for (since I remembered incorrectly! Also I don’t like superhuge needles.) Still 80 sts (more than called for), starting to decrease with a sk2p. Looks like I’m going through this yarn quickly - wonder if 3 skeins will be enough.

18th of February 2014:
Just separated for the hood. I cast off 5 sts at center front to avoid some of the pulling I see happening. For the decrease round I used the same decrease as earlier(sk2p) at two points at the back of the neck.

Aaaand a note: I just marked a frowney face on this project. I think the cowl is adorable, and I’m making changes to suit my preferances so I’m sure I’ll be pretty happy with my finished cowl. But I’m not crazy about the pattern, and I don’t think I would recommend it as I don’t find the pattern instructions and layout clear or accurate enough. There are no finished measurements, and with a size range of 0-3 months all the way up to adult size, I think there should be.

viewed 95 times | helped 3 people
January 26 2014
March 14 2014
About this pattern
1942 projects, in 2074 queues
indigorchid's overall rating
indigorchid's clarity rating
indigorchid's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Garnstudio
Super Bulky
100% Wool
55 yards / 50 grams

13455 projects

stashed 7128 times

indigorchid's star rating
  • Originally queued: January 11, 2014
  • Project created: January 26, 2014
  • Updated: April 6, 2014
  • Progress updates: 5 updates