Aside from this pattern using FIVE different needle sizes, I think it’s going to be really lovely to make an wear. The stockinette swatch calls for a 10.5, but I got there with a 9. The brioche swatch calls for a 9, but I think a 7 works better for me. An 8 was really close, but I think a 7 is a little better. I washed my swatch in Eucalan and let it dry.
I’m not using fingering weight doubled, as recommended in the pattern. I looked at the gauge and thought I could easily get that with worsted weight. I swatched with the yarn I’m using, and also Cascade 220, but I liked the roundness of the yarn better in the Jo Sharp. This yarn is technically DK, but I’ve tried to swatch it on patterns that call for DK, and it never seems to work out that way. I’m glad I finally get to use it!
Cast on the sleeves. I love the tubular 1x1 cast on. I did it as written, but if you don’t have scrap yarn on hand you can also try this method. It makes such a lovely rounded edge.
I’m into the body and I think I will add some extra length. Though the sweater looks nice and long on the model, my ideal length from armpit to end of sweater is more like 15.5 inches, rather than the 13 shown in the schematic. I have the spare yarn, so I think I should add at least 1.5-2 inches.
I knit until about 15.25 inches from CO edge to starting the brioche. I have a long waist and I needed some extra length.
After the added length, I stuck to the pattern as written. The positive ease is pretty comfy. I usually don’t make sweaters with this much positive ease, but I think it could grow on me. I think if I made one again, I might work the front in the 38” size and the back as a 34”. I feel like there is some unnecessary extra fabric in the back that could be pulled in.