leilaniac > notebook > projects > Death of Rats square

Project info
Death of Rats square
Knitting
Pratchgan 2008
6x6 inches
Needle and yarn
US 2 - 2.75 mm
US 8 - 5.0 mm
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran
100 yards, 50 grams 1 skein = 100.0 yards (91.4m)
Black
Knit Purl in Portland, Oregon
Shibui Knits Sock
Brown
Shibui Knits Sock
Blue
Shibui Knits Sock
Natural/Undyed
Shibui Knits Sock
191 yards, 50 grams 1 skein = 191.0 yards (174.7m)
Ink
Black
Knit Purl in Portland, Oregon
Notes

Right now all I have is a plan and an intarsia chart. UPDATE: I now have actual yarn and an intarsia chart. I tried using a couple of the online intarsia generators and didn’t really like the results, so I made my own chart.

DIY intarsia kit: picture to knit, Excel, gauge swatch. Optional, but useful, extra: artistic talent, in case the picture you want to knit doesn’t already exist. Since I don’t have it, I went with photo-editing software.

  1. Calculate total stitches/rows from gauge swatch.
  2. Set up a grid in Excel with appropriate number of columns and rows.
  3. Place picture over grid, set to 20-30% transparency so you can see the grid behind the picture.
  4. Color in the grid squares to match the picture.
  5. Tweak as needed until the blocky picture in Excel resembles the picture in your head/on your actual picture/etc.

It took about an hour for me to do a 44x50 grid, hampered by the fact that once the picture was in place I couldn’t use the mouse to select cells so I had to use the arrows to move around. BUT I like the result so much better, and I was able to keep tweaking the design as little things started to bug me.

I’m going to do worsted edging to match the other Pratchgan squares, but worsted is too blocky for the square I want to do so the inside will be sock. I got (will be getting) (have now gotten) most of the yarn from my sister’s stash, so all I have to buy (have now bought) is the black for the hood and the worsted-weight for the edging.

Yay!!! The rat is done, and actually looks like what it’s supposed to look like. I had a bit of trouble with the edging (I doubted my math and added and extra stitch on either side, it came out too wide and I had to rip back. Never doubt the math.), but it shouldn’t take too long to fix. Then all I have to do is weave in the 3 million ends left from all the color work.

Final update. It took me two days, on a weekend when I could sleep in and otherwise slack, to do the actual knitting. It took me three days, when I was riding the bus 1-1/2 hours each way to work with nothing to do but knit and read, to weave in the ends. I suck at finishing. But finish I did, and the rat is now being blocked. Final knitted measurement pre-blocking was exactly 6x6. I’m blocking it to 6x6 and he’s looking a little puffy in the middle, but not too bad.

viewed 503 times | helped 1 person
Finished
January 2008
January 2008
About this pattern
Personal pattern (not in Ravelry)
About this yarn
Cashmerino Aran
by Debbie Bliss
Aran / 10 ply
55% Merino, 33% Microfiber, 12% Cashmere
98 yards / 50 grams
leilaniac's star rating
21365 projects, stashed 11335 times
About this yarn
Sock
by Shibui Knits
Fingering / 4 ply
100% Merino
191 yards / 50 grams
leilaniac's star rating
11240 projects, stashed 11221 times
  • Project created: January 6, 2008
  • Finished: January 17, 2008
  • Updated: August 13, 2008