MiaSally's projects
Ugo Box
Finished
April 23 2011
May 25 2011
Project info
Ugo Box
Badger purse by Kirsti Hallamaa
Knitting
My Nikon camera
15 x 13 x 11 cm
Needles & yarn
US 5 - 3.75 mm
145 yards = 1 skein
Lane Cervinia Caprice
0.7 skeins = 101.5 yards (92.8 meters), 35 grams
Lane Cervinia Caprice
0.3 skeins = 43.5 yards (39.8 meters), 15 grams
Notes

This was really a funny project to knit! :o)

I needed a soft protection bag for my Nikon camera, as I risked to badly damage its display if I continued to put it into my walking bag together with all the other things.

I wanted something nice and funny to bring around during our travels, nothing too serious or camera shop-like, so when I saw the Badger Purse project I thought I had found what I needed.

But that project consisted in a small bag intended to contain only an I-pod or cell phone and it was definitely too small for my camera, so I had to readjust the size and shape of the bag.

I used the “Knitting over the edge” book by Nicky Epstein to find a lovely texture for the bag body and knitted a long piece of about 15cm width to form the front, base and back part all together. Then I knitted two separate trapeze shaped pieces and I sewed them to the sides of the bag to close it in the form of a small box.

I knitted the badger head as indicated in Kirsti Hallamaa’s pattern, I only added a few stitches to make it bigger following my bag proportions.
The same for all the small details of ears, tail, hands and feet of the badger.
I added plastic eyes to make it more lively and funny, and used a few pieces of black wool to make the whiskers.

I knitted a long stripe of 7 stitches to form the bag shoulder belt, and my mom sewed a grosgrain stripe below it to make it stronger and less elastic.
I have to thank my mom also for the inside lining of the bag, as she made it with her sewing machine.
We found a lovely, quilted fabric and made the internal lining with it. My mom was able to add also 2 pockets as I had requested her, 1 for the spare camera battery and 1 for the spare memory cards - which are never enough for my photo-shooting mania…

I also decided to embellish this lovely animal bag with something sweet and feminine, so I knitted the “Anemone” flower from the book “100 flowers to knit and crochet” by Lesley Stanfield.
It was a fun knit and I was very happy with the final result. I sewed the red flower at one side of the bag just to give it a spot of contrasting colour, and I think it worked well.

I’m very happy about my new camera bag and I’m sure this funny Ugo will be a nice travelling companion during our next holidays. :o)

viewed 81 times
Finished
April 23 2011
May 25 2011
About this pattern
81 projects, in 244 queues
MiaSally's overall rating
MiaSally's clarity rating
MiaSally's difficulty rating
About this yarn
by Lane Cervinia
DK
100% Acrylic
145 yards / 50 grams

408 projects

stashed 307 times

MiaSally's star rating
  • Originally queued: April 18, 2011
  • Project created: April 27, 2011
  • Finished: May 25, 2011
  • Updated: June 5, 2011
  • Progress updates: 7 updates