I love this! Especially with the stockinette sleeves. I thought they might look out of place, but I think they look great and I can wear a sleeveless shirt with the cardigan to work!
I cast on 40 sts for each sleeve. After turning the hem under and knitting both sides together, I knit 3 more inches and then began my increases. I increased 2 sts every 8 rows until I reached a total of 50 sts on each sleeve. Then I knit even until the sleeves measured 14.5 inches.
Since I needed to keep the stockinette on the sleeves when I joined them to the body, I had to improvise the star pattern decreases on the fronts and back. It’s possible that I followed the directions by chance, but mostly I just put the star pattern and the decreases where they seemed to make the most sense. I didn’t end up decreasing 12 stitches per decrease row. If you look really closely, you might notice that the two fronts are asymmetrical in pattern. But anyone who looks at me that closely would be in for a butt whoopin’ anyway.
I had a hard time with the star pattern at first. I couldn’t keep the right number of stitches on the needles so I kept screwing up the pattern. Then I realized that I had to make sure that the #2 stitch in the 3-stitch pattern was directly over the previous yarn-over. Then I could quickly determine if I had messed up the pattern and I didn’t have to wait until I was 6 rows passed my mistake.