The last ones I made were a little small which makes sense because the pattern was designed for a size 8 foot. That’s not me. So I made some modifications this time.
Because the garter stitch stretches a little with wear, I would err on the side of too few extra stitches. I cast on an addition 8 stitches so that when I folded the sole, there would be 4 additional stitches in length. But I think I ended up with an additional 2 inches of foot length instead of 1 inch to account for a little stretching. Next time, I would add only 4 extra stitches to the cast on.
I also completed an extra 2 rows in the sole for added width before the final row where you increase 5 stitches. I’m not sure I really need to do this because I used a provisional cast on and grafted the seam together. The grafting gave me an extra half inch and this might have been enough.
I always seam up the back before I start the main color (in this case, the blue) so I can knit in the round for the top part.
To account for the additional 2 rows, I shaped the top front of the slipper over 11 stitches instead of 9.
Too compensate for the over-modification of the sole, I decided to use only one strand of yarn on the top. This pulled the sole up around the sides and the front. I also made sure to continue the decreases until I had the same number of stitches left as the original pattern called for; my foot is longer, but ankle is still small.
I decided to make a 2x2 ribbed cuff instead of a garter cuff.
Next time, I would probably add only 4 stitches to the cast on and no additional rows. This should give me around a size 9 that would stretch to a 9.5 or 10.