After many many do-overs with my colors not working out as in the photos, I made the following simple change from the written instructions. (Thank god for the photos, they are a life-saver!)
Needle 1 (Heel and Instep):TK1 MC, TK1 CC; rep from * to end of needle. Remove slipknot. Wrap slipknot yarn ends around working yarn.
Needle 2 (Sole): TK1 CC, TK1 MC; rep from * to end of needle.
Next. When you work to 31 stitches on each side of the heel, you get 2 same-color strands adjacent, which will throw off the continuity of the color-work pattern. I increased to 33st. and found it to be way too big. I then scaled back to 29 st. on each needle, fits great.
Also, I’m finding that winding my wool into manageable bobbins is far less cumbersome for Twined Knitting, although I acknowledge I will have to weave in more ends later. I tried using the technique the author recommends and it just about drove me insane.
Now, about the cuff. The short rows, or at least my short rows, look wonky. I tried an iteration without and it didn’t work out at all. But I’m really not happy with the wonky-ness of the look of my short rows. I think I re-did them about six or seven times and didn’t get any change in my results. It is what it is.
I added a few extra rows so they come up past the ankles.
This is a bittersweet project because I just love the squooshy, lofty, thickness of the end result. BUT WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS.
I’ll try anything. Once. But Twined Knitting is so cumbersome, so fussy… all that un-twining/winding. I dunno. I guess I’ll just stick to stranded-colorwork or mosaic knitting.