potentialofyarn's projects
Handspun Mara Shawl
February 12 2010
April 11 2010
Project info
Handspun Mara Shawl
Mara by Madelinetosh
gifted - Ravenna 2017
Needles & yarn
US 7 - 4.5 mm
Potentiality Two-Ply Handspun
1000.0 yards (914.4 meters), 453 grams

4/12/2010 - Done and so happy with it! I bound off in pattern on a WS row rather than that BO as per the pattern because I liked the slightly rippled edge it gave better.

4/8/2010 - One row to go and then I’m binding off! One row to go!

3/20/2010 - When I started the 1x1 ribbing, I had 355 stitches on the needles. I’ve now started the k2p2 ribbing of the ruffle. Each row is so, so long. And I’m about to add in the 7th of 9 skeins of yarn.

When I did the increase row, I didn’t do yarnovers as the directions say to do, as that’s a wrong side row. However, after having knit some additional rows, I see that the increases merged into the columns of yarnovers, so I now know why that is a design feature. Don’t skip it!

3/15/2010 - I’m making some good progress on this shawl now. It’s amazing how quickly worsted weight knits up! I’ve probably used 40% of the yardage and am aiming to switch to the ribbing about half the way through. It’s a bit hard to calculate with handspun, as my yarn is a bit uneven, but I saved the three thinnest, and therefore most yardage, skeins for the end.

3/10/2010 - The shoulder shaping mods ended up being:

  • Started with a regular triangle, as per the pattern, for about 2 inches
  • Added a M1R/M1L halfway between the edging and center on each side, every right side row for about 2 inches
  • Made the M1R/M1L increases every other right side row for another 2 inches
  • Made the M1R/M1L increases every third right side row for a total of three times

Then back to regular triangular shaping. It fits so well, I’m really happy with it now.

2/19/2010 - Well, it’s clear I won’t be finished by the Olympics closing ceremony deadline. I had knit almost three of the nine skeins, when I finally decided to listen to that little voice saying something wasn’t quite right, and frogged back almost to the very beginning, and am re-doing the shoulder shaping. Now, I’m increasing by 6 st per right side row, or every other right side row. This gives a smoother line to the edge of the shawl and it fits better too.

2/15/2010 - Finished adding in a little shoulder shaping to the pattern to make it easier to wear. Basically, once I had knit a triangle wide enough to span my back (I knit to 13 inches, but 10 would have been better), I added paired M1R and M1L increases at each shoulder on the right side of the pattern. I continued this for about 3 inches. From here on out, it’s knit the pattern as usual.

2/12/2010 - Cast on and stayed up really late knitting. I love seeing how the handspun colors are turning out.

This shawl is a labor of love, as I spun all the yarn myself - a full pound of Falkland. I’m not sure I’ll be done by the end of the Olympics, but I decided to go big and aim for a full shawl in 17 days.

Shawl #3 of 10 shawls in 2010

Gifted to a knitter at the Ravenna Art Sale 2017

viewed 846 times | helped 12 people
February 12 2010
April 11 2010
About this pattern
potentialofyarn's star rating
potentialofyarn's difficulty rating
4231 projects, in 5393 queues
About this yarn
by Potentiality
potentialofyarn's star rating

9 projects

stashed 14 times

  • Originally queued: July 9, 2009
  • Project created: February 13, 2010
  • Finished: April 12, 2010
  • Updated: December 10, 2017
  • Progress updates: 6 updates