I agree with the Mason-Dixon ladies, these are actually easier than pie. A little bit fiddly toward the very end, with the button hole and decreases while holding the yarn doubled, but really quite an easy knit.
I’ve been impressed with the yarn - there is a nice silky smoothness to it that I find surprising for a cotton-based yarn, and it’s got a nice drape while still being very sturdy when the yarn is held doubled.
Yarn note: each finished towel was 56 g. I calculate I used 36g of the main color and 20 of the contrast color for each towel. Each ball of yarn is 50 g. You could technically get 3 towels out of four balls of this yarn, but not if you follow the color patterns recommended in the book, and want a set with matching tops. Order two of the CC (top) color!
5/17/09 - Finished the one in Marlin (blue) and started on Honey Dew (green). I am using black for the top parts of all three towels.
5/20/09 - Finished the one in Honey Dew and cast on the one in Seafoam (light blue). I am starting to realize these may be more decorative than useful, ‘cause they are so damn cute!
5/21/09 - Almost, almost finished the third towel when I ran out of the black yarn, which I’m using as the top part of all three towels. I looked at the KnitPicks catalog (which featured a set of three of the towels) and now see that it did note that two skeins of the black would be needed. I overlooked this and now need to order another skein. Yaargh!
6/17/09 - Finally finished the third towel with the extra ball of yarn. Just need buttons now.