potentialofyarn's projects
Vancouver Fog Mitts

potentialofyarn > notebook > projects > Vancouver Fog Mitts

November 26 2009
March 18 2011
Project info
Vancouver Fog Mitts
Vancouver Fog by Jen Balfour
Needles & yarn
US 7 - 4.5 mm
Sundara Yarn Aran Silky Merino
40 yards in stash
0.7 skeins = 140.0 yards (128.0 meters), 70 grams
Rav trade
November 1, 2009

I was thinking I wanted mitts with a pretty kinda Celtic cable for this yarn, and I found the pattern and cast on almost immediately.

Mods: I cast on an additional 4 stitches, because I’ve read it’s small for some, and my arms and hands are definitely bigger than those in the picture on the pattern. My stockinette gauge was 5 st/inch, which would be close to the called-for 36 st to cast on, but I know cables pull fabric in quite a bit.

12/3/2009: I finished knitting both and am wearing them now as I type! However, I may someday frog and reknit the thumbs and the final 8 rows of ribbing - both are too loose.

3/1/2011: I never wear these because the thumb is messy and uncomfortable and the mitts are too tight across the palm. I’m ripping back almost a whole repeat of the cable pattern and redoing the mitts with a thumb gusset instead of the little thumb flap for more evenness across the palm.

3/18/2011: Finished both! I started the thumb gusset on row two of the final repeat of the cable pattern, adding a M1R and M1L every other row for a total of 8 paired increases. After that, I CO 5 stitches, put 9 on a holder for the thumb, and in subsequent rows reduced a few stitches so that I was back to my original stitch count in time to knit the edge ribbing. The mitts fit much, much better. Very happy with them now!

viewed 1118 times | helped 22 people
November 26 2009
March 18 2011
About this pattern
potentialofyarn's star rating
potentialofyarn's difficulty rating
3338 projects, in 4007 queues
About this yarn
by Sundara Yarn
50% Silk, 50% Merino
200 yards / 100 grams
potentialofyarn's star rating

1695 projects

stashed 3070 times

  • Originally queued: November 24, 2009
  • Project created: November 28, 2009
  • Finished: December 12, 2009
  • Updated: April 5, 2011