Just gave this as a gift to my sister-in-law and she loves it.
First time knitting with Malabrigo and it is SO soft. I’ve heard that it felts easily, so I made sure she knew to handle it gently when washing and drying.
My gauge with this yarn was 17st/24rows to 4 inches. Given the pattern gauge is different, I had to convert it.
I did a cable cast-on for the neck to keep it tight, casting on 88 stitches (as this boat neck has a tendency to be too wide).
After the first increase, I had 140 stitches. After the second, I had 174 stitches, and after the third, I had 221 stitches. I did the first increase at row 15, the next after 15 more rows, and the next after 15 more. I decided on a 6 stitch garter button band.
To get the right proportions for the long sleeves (which is different if you follow the pattern exactly - which gives a bit too much flair to the sleeves for then knitting them long), I knit 38, slipped 46 to scrap yarn, cast on 9, knit 79 back stitches, slipped 46 to scrap yarn, cast on 9 and knit 38.
I did a bit of waist shaping and ended up knitting to 19 inches from the start of the sleeves (as my sister-in-law has a long torso). Seeing it on her, I could have even gone another 1 or 2 longer. Rather than garter along the bottom edge, I did the same pattern as the top (twisted rib stitch).
The sleeves I did similar to Tea Leaves, knitting 4 inches, and then decreasing three times ever 14 rows. I opted for a 3/4 length sleeve to prevent them from being too long and having to be constantly pushed up (which anyone with young kids knows you have to do all the time). I did the same twisted rib detailing along the bottom edge of each sleeve.