Swatched with the yarn I wanted to use and then modified the pattern to fit the gauge I was knitting (rather than other way around)… cast on 76 stitches.
Found THE perfect buttons at Portsmouth Fabric Co today. Can’t wait to sew them on and photograph the sweater. Turn out this only took 8 balls of Wayne and not 10, so I have a couple for my stash.
I love the look of the sweater. The hand of the yarn reminds me of cotton. It isn’t soft or stretchy. Must be the silk in it. I hope it will soften with wear and gentle washing. The sleeves are narrow - tight to pull on - but my mother is smaller than me and it should fit her nicely.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the contrast peek-a-boo pockets. Now I need to make myself one of these sweater. My husband thinks this is my best looking sweater yet. Pockets were made approx 4 inches wide and a bit deeper than that.
I knit the body 9 inches from underarms and then placed on scrap yarn 4 inches of stitches on either side. The next row, I cast on the same number of stitches and continued knitting until the end. I like the roll that gives the pockets at the top… however, if I hadn’t wanted the roll, I would have done a garter stitch for 4 rows of the pocket stitches before starting in again on stockinette I then went back with the contrasting yarn and did stockinette stitches for the inside of the pockets, picking up a stitch every 2 rows from the inside of the sweater to attach the pocket as I went. When casting off the pockets, I then left a long tail to use to sew the bottoms of the pockets to the body of the sweater.