revknits' projects

revknits > notebook > projects > Twist

September 21 2010
December 6 2010
Project info
Twist by Bonne Marie Burns
Needles & yarn
US 5 - 3.75 mm
US 7 - 4.5 mm
Dream in Color Classy
5 skeins = 1250.0 yards (1143.0 meters), 565 grams
Bluebird Yarn and Fiber Crafts in Sausalito, California
September 2010

The swatch looks and feels great- but I’m getting 18 stitches over 4 inches, rather than 19. I think I’ll go with this gauge and adjust the pattern as needed.

Oct 15 - Progressing well - I’m doing the lower body in one piece, and have done about 10 1/2 inches. I didn’t bother to try to figure out how to get the bottom cables to be all matchy-matchy with the ribbing, maybe if I do another one!

Oct 17 - the decreases on the front armholes are done. Setting aside ‘til I can properly focus on finishing up the fronts.

Oct 25 - after tending to other business, I’ve started back and finished up the fronts. Onto the back!

Oct 27 - the back is done, onto the sleeves. Later: started the cuff, and was trying to figure out why the ribbing was not matching having converted it to the round, then remembered that I need to eliminate the two edge stitches. Cuff ripped and begun again. I’m doing the cuffs from the same single skein, then will switch to alternating skeins for the rest of the sleeves. Hopefully, things will match that way.

Oct 31 - Knit 1st sleeve almost to the armhole, but it was feeling tight to me. In checking gauge, I reallized that I was knitting the sleeve tighter than I had the body. Took sleeve to dinner with my cousin, who tried it on, and yes, it was too tight. Ripped sleeve out down to the ribbing, and added 4 more stitches on a first row evenly, then began the pattern using the next size. Am knitting looser (and constantly reminding myself to do this). Tried the few inches I reknit while watching the Giants on my cousin again, and it looks ok!

Nov 2 - World series watching definitely affected first sleeve knitting - had to rip a few rows again! But now 1st sleeve is done to the armole. Going back and knitting the 2nd sleeve from the end of the ribbing.

Nov 5 - sleeves done - mostly similar too! Need to block sweater and sleeves, then start on bands and collars.

Nov 9 - button band knit - looks great. Learned how to do the tulips buttonhole via Interweave Knits and the Tulip Buttonhole Youtube video.

Nov 10 - checked out Bluebird Yarn and Fiber - no buttons that would work. Have ordered some buttons from the Button Emporium, along with some specialty grosgrain ribbon called Petersham for the bands. Will have to wait for buttons before proceeding.

Nov 29 - Found better buttons. Knit the tulips buttonholes, knit the collar. Need to attach the sleeves, add ribbon to buttonband and attach buttons. Blocking would help too!

Sleeves attached. I’ll know in the morning if the top of the sleeve matches enough, and then I’ll block!

12/6/10-Done! The button band looks great, I might block the edges of the collar so they don’t curl under, but I love it. I think I need to knit for me!

viewed 361 times | helped 3 people
September 21 2010
December 6 2010
About this pattern
revknits' star rating
revknits' difficulty rating
381 projects, in 1256 queues
About this yarn
by Dream in Color
100% Merino
250 yards / 113 grams
revknits' star rating

25889 projects

stashed 16416 times

  • Originally queued: September 13, 2010
  • Project created: September 22, 2010
  • Finished: December 6, 2010
  • Updated: November 4, 2015
  • Progress updates: 10 updates