strikkefrenzy > notebook > projects > 14 Totoros

Project info
14 Totoros
Paper Dolls by Kate Davies
Knitting
me
small
Needles & yarn
US 1½ - 2.5 mm
US 2½ - 3.0 mm
Filcolana Arwetta Classic
3 skeins = 690.0 yards (630.9 meters), 150 grams
Rohrspatz & Wollmeise Pure 100% Merino Superwash
Notes

The dolls in this pattern were too sugar cute for me, although I think they look great. In my head, I had 3 versions, maybe I can inspire someone to make the other two? - here they are:

I. The just as sugar cute version: Since one of my passions is diving, I wanted to use the free sea horse pattern found HERE. My conclusions were that this would be too cute as well.

II. The geeky but lovely version: (I was on my way on this one) The One Ring inscription as the yoke, a free pattern suggestion can be found HERE . I was planning to use Jeton for the text, and either Pesto, black or a deep red color for the corrugated rib.

Notes

The I-cord cast-on kills my fingers… took me 2 days to finish! Used 3 mm for co, then 2.5 mm for the corrugated ribbing. IMO the ribbing looks great when the knit sts pops - this happens when the MC yarn is held as the lower thread (whereas CC is held as the upper) when knitting.

Why why WHYYY must everything always turn out too big? The stockinette section is sloppy as hell, and I frogged back, doing k2tog every 5th and 6th st. I hope that’ll be enough, no way I’m frogging the rib section!

The decreases in this pattern look bumpy and ugly, not really recommended.
Stitches after decreases and increases: 197

Sleeves done! casted on 78 sts, then knitting every 7th and 8th together after ribbing. 69 sts.
8 sts wide underarm gap as stated.

Yoke: 308 sts. The fun part, but also coming out reeeally slowly due to the amount of repeats. Stranded part done in 3.0mm needles, I didn’t have 2.75, but I think it would’ve been better if I used 2.5, I knit awfully loose on small needles obviously!

The Totoro pattern can be found here!! The fat totoros almost use twice the space as the skinny dolls:)

Did 3 decrease rounds before the one in the written instructions. Then decreased 3 sts in every pattern repeat, except 4 places - 228 sts (divisible by 12)
After the flower-like border, knit every 2nd and 3rd st together. 152 sts.
Decreased to 136 sts after short rows.
Aaaah, I-cord bind-off is a lot better than CO.

Used about 40 g of Pesto and 35 g My Old Blue Jeans.
And I thought I would use 5-6 skeins arwetta, but needed only 3! I have 3 left, perhaps another paper dolls one day? :)

Photo session time! The small soot sprites wanted to join in, so I let them:) I’m überhappy with the size on this one!

viewed 32115 times | helped 142 people
Finished
May 25 2010
June 16 2010
 
About this pattern
strikkefrenzy's star rating
strikkefrenzy's difficulty rating
1213 projects, in 3179 queues
About this yarn
by Rohrspatz & Wollmeise
Fingering
100% Merino
574 yards / 150 grams
strikkefrenzy's star rating

58287 projects

stashed 128825 times

About this yarn
by Filcolana
Fingering
80% Merino, 20% Nylon
230 yards / 50 grams
strikkefrenzy's star rating

7291 projects

stashed 4409 times

  • Project created: May 25, 2010
  • Finished: June 16, 2010
  • Updated: January 12, 2012
  • Progress updates: 8 updates