susie-f > notebook > projects > Baby Hippo

Project info
Baby Hippo
Sock Hippo by Bobbi Padgett
Knitting
Janey C's baby
not sure yet
Needles & yarn
US 2½ - 3.0 mm
196 yards = 2 skeins
Rowan Amy Butler Belle Organic Aran
none left in stash
2 skeins = 196.0 yards (179.2 meters), 100 grams
Blue
Notes

Made for a baby boy due in April 2010 (I made his brother an Elijah, so a friendly hippo seemed like a nice alternative this time around). Overall I’m pretty pleased with him!

This is a nice pattern for people who hate sewing up seams, as the majority of it involves knitting in the round and integrating live stitches.

I used aran weight yarn with Lantern Moon 3mm rosewood dpns (smaller than the recommended needles but I like to knit stuffed toys at a tight gauge, to stop them going baggy).

This Rowan yarn is lovely - soft and clean-looking, and perfect for a baby toy, with no loose fibres wafting around.

9th Jan: Made the arms and legs and placed the live stitches on a spare needle

10th Jan: Made the head, which is an interesting seamless construction using short row shaping.

11th Jan: Started to knit down the neck and body - and joined the arms (which is done by integrating the live stitches). It’s a bit fiddly but much preferable to sewing up seams!

15th Jan: Today I finished the rest of the body and incorporated the legs. Final touches were to make the ears and sew on the face using embroidery thread.

Modificatons:

  • On a whim, I made the arms and legs a little bit longer than the pattern specifies (for the arms I knit 2 extra rounds before the final decreases, for the legs I knit 4 extra rounds)
  • Also, inspired by Elijah, I followed a stuff-as-you-go approach (e.g. stuffing the head before I continue to knit down the neck).
viewed 358 times | helped 4 people
Finished
January 9 2011
January 15 2011
 
About this pattern
susie-f's star rating
susie-f's difficulty rating
276 projects, in 832 queues
About this yarn
by Rowan
Aran
50% Wool, 50% Cotton
98 yards / 50 grams
susie-f's star rating

1287 projects

stashed 1194 times

  • Project created: January 10, 2011
  • Finished: January 15, 2011
  • Updated: January 16, 2011
  • Progress updates: 3 updates