twinsetellen's projects
Haselnuss

twinsetellen > notebook > projects > Haselnuss

Finished
January 8 2011
November 19 2011
Project info
Haselnuss
Nuss by Cirilia Rose
Knitting
Me
Needles & yarn
US 7 - 4.5 mm
1,248 yards = 9.6 skeins
Berroco Blackstone Tweed™
442 yards in stash
9.6 skeins = 1248.0 yards (1141.2 meters), 480 grams
9164491
Sisu Designs
September 26, 2010
Notes

Hazelnut - the yarn is the color of hazel eyes - green-gold with flecks of blue, bits of black iris. I like that it makes me think of my grandmother, Hazel.

The Blackstone Tweed is wonderful stuff with which to knit. Soft, cushy - the blend of wool, kid mohair, and angora is fabulous and I am highly motivated to finish this quickly so it can hug me.

Comments from other projects note that the sleeves can be a bit snug and the neck is wide. I’ll have to consider this as I finish mine.

1/8/10 unblocked swatch on size 7 square cross-section needles:
20 st, 20.5 st, 19.5 st per 4”
13.5 rows, 14, 14.5 per 2”
28 rows to 20 stitches seems a reasonable ratio - in the pattern they give a ratio of 24 to 19.

Washed by gentle squeezing in warm water with Soak, swatch dimensions are now:
18.5 stitches per 4” and 28 rows per 4” - good enough by me!

1/9/10 - oops! I am only doing rows 3-6 of the lace pattern. But it looks good, so I am sticking with it. I noticed after I’d gotten about 4.5” into the back, almost a full skein of yarn, and I have so much knitting I’d like to do this year I am just going to stick with this “feature” in interest of time.

5/5 - this is going slower than I thought after a major divergence into hats (Warm Hats Not Hot Heads). But now I’m cranking up the sleeve and wish I’d had Julie Weisenberg’s tip gleaned at Yarnover - provisional cast on, then you can sew everything up, test the sleeve length, and knit the cuff downwards to the perfect length. I’ve knit the sleeve to about 17” without starting the scye and think I should sew up the body pieces to check length before proceeding.

5/27 - all the knitting is done and the seaming, too. I added a crab stitch edging - first I did a row of single crochet for the base and then the crab stitch (single crochet from the left to the right, hook size E) back. It finished it off quite nicely. Now to figure out buttons…

11/19 - well, it only took me 6 months to get buttons sewed on. I added a narrow grosgrain ribbon to stabilize the fronts and am already very happy with how this has reduced the wonkiness of the lace edge.

viewed 306 times | helped 3 people
Finished
January 8 2011
November 19 2011
About this pattern
twinsetellen's star rating
twinsetellen's difficulty rating
145 projects, in 269 queues
About this yarn
by Berroco
Aran
65% Wool, 25% Mohair, 10% Angora
130 yards / 50 grams
twinsetellen's star rating

4589 projects

stashed 3436 times

  • Originally queued: October 2, 2010
  • Project created: January 8, 2011
  • Finished: November 20, 2011
  • Updated: November 22, 2011
  • Progress updates: 9 updates