John loves argyle socks and I refuse to knit them, so he’s getting these plain ones. :)
Started with Mr. Pitt Socks, but wanted to convert them to toe-up. Then I saw the stitch count would get me socks 13” around. I need 10”. So, I ditched all patterns, kinda looked at my notes for the Dark Passenger socks I made him, and now I’m winging it. I’ve improvised socks for myself no problem, but I’m going to be adventurous and see if I can’t make up a toe-up heel flap (since all of his socks wear through on the bottom of the heel anyway) and maybe Eye of Partridge at that. It’ll be an adventure!
I got a good 2-3” knit up watching Game of Thrones (his favorite!) and I love the effect of the different colored plies knit up. Granted, I’ve only seen it in the dark (which seems to be an odd trend with the beginnings of my knits recently).
I think the heel flap was a success with one exception: I turned the heel the same way I would going top-down, so it isn’t shaped right. Next time I will need to do short rows that get shorter, not longer. Should have been obvious if I’d thought about it. :P They’ll still work.
John requested elastic cuffs on all his socks from now on. That should be my final obstacle in this project.
John complains a lot about how hard it is to get his socks on. Here are some gusset tips.