urbanizer > notebook > projects > Jerry Seinfield/Elaine Benes

Project info
Jerry Seinfield/Elaine Benes
The Waistcoat He Wants by Feature Knitting Designs
Knitting
Brian
Needles & yarn
US 3 - 3.25 mm
Knit Picks Stroll Solids, Heathers & Twists
4 skeins = 924.0 yards (844.9 meters), 200 grams
Ash
Knit Picks
Notes

Hannakah present for the boy. The gloves apparently cursed us, so I might as well whip up the vest I’ve been reluctant to start because of the curse. I’m calling it Jerry Seinfield in hopes I can still be his Elaine Benes. :) Who knows what the future holds.

Had to frog and restart due to the weird ribbing. I just have to accept it’ll look…weird.

The ribbing looks much better. I hope it blocks as well. I’m now having an issue with length. Brian will probably only wear this with slacks, which he wears higher than his low-cut jeans, so it may not need to be as long as a t-shirt. However, he’s super lanky, so I can’t figure out how long to make the pieces before I start the armholes. I might just have to find a lanky friend to measure. Hmmm.

I think I have it figured out. I’ll make the overall length 25.5 inches and start the armholes at 16.5 inches. If it’s too short for him, I’ll keep it (though it will be super long on me).

Yarn is fuzzing and looking really gross already. No bueno.

I’m not terribly close to that part yet, but I’m troubling myself about the neck already. I could either add a button or two (don’t want to) or start decreasing after the 6th and just knit the 29 even when I get there? I’m not fond of the high neck on this thing anyway, so I’m thinking it will look okay. Stay tuned to find out!

I was dreading the finishing on this because it’s a little odd and there’s quite a bit of it, but it’s going super fast. I bet I’ll have it done in another day minus pockets and buttons.

I did something weird but I think it would have been weirder if I had done it the way I think it’s written. The ribbing on the front bottom panels is not 2 inches like the back and I, assuming it would be 2 inches on the front, measured everything to match length from the beginning of the stockinette on the back panel. It’s hard to explain, but I’ll get pictures up as soon as I’m done seaming. Just one more side seam to go. These tiny stitches are killing me!

I can’t really tell if it fits me, but I’m pretty damn sure it’ll be too small for the kid (which means I get to keep it!). Regardless, I’ll let him try it on. Just in case. :) I love it!!!

Mods:

  • cast on required # sts +1 (to start and end w/k st) for the back; decreased this extra stitch in the middle of first st st row, increasing as indicated.
  • added 5 inches in length and 1 button hole.

I haven’t put the buttons on yet or weaved in all the ends, but I had Brian try it on and it’s a no-go, haha. I didn’t check the gauge after I started actually knitting and I know it’s probably tighter than the swatch was (that’s the way it ALWAYS goes!). It’s pretty cute on me, so I’ll wear it!

And I still get to be his Elaine Benes. :)

viewed 1152 times | helped 4 people
Finished
September 19 2009
January 26 2010
About this pattern
urbanizer's star rating
urbanizer's difficulty rating
28 projects, in 121 queues
About this yarn
by Knit Picks
Fingering
75% Merino, 25% Nylon
231 yards / 50 grams
urbanizer's star rating

39641 projects

stashed 33117 times

  • Originally queued: May 21, 2009
  • Project created: September 19, 2009
  • Finished: December 10, 2009
  • Updated: February 14, 2010