Aberdeen Ave. Mittens
One of three patterns in the February wave of my Urban Collection, Feb-April 2012! May be purchased individually, or as part of the whole collection. (After collection purchase, knitters will automatically receive updates as they are added.)
These mittens are warm companions for the Aberdeen hat, making use of the same cable motifs along the cuff and back of the hand. Both elegant and practical, they are easily tucked away in your coat pocket for chilly days on the go.
Using just a single skein of Tanis Fiber Arts Green Label Aran (or your preferred heavy worsted/light Aran wool or superwash wool), this is a classic cap that will indulge your interest with an elegant cable panel on one side, just long enough for you to find yourself decreasing and finishing the whole cap! It is a simple but attractive cap that you’ll welcome in your winter accessories basket for many years to come.
With many thanks:
Technical editing by Jaya Purswani, and modelling by Martha Harris.
Pattern instruction include information on how to work cables without a cable needle.
• Tanis Fiber Arts Green Label Aran, 205 yds/187m per 115g/4oz skein, 1 skein (shown in ‘Sand’), OR a similar worsted/Aran-weight yarn in comparable yardage
• 3.75mm / Size US 5 needles – Double-Pointed Needles (DPNs) OR long 32-40”/80-100cm circular if Magic Loop method is desired (OR needle size one size smaller than that required for pattern gauge)
• 4.0mm / Size US 6 needles – DPNs OR long 32-40”/80-100cm circular if Magic Loop method is desired (OR needle size required for pattern gauge)
• stitch markers (2-3)
• stitch holder or waste yarn
• cable needle (unless using cabling-without-a-cable-needle method, described within)
• tapestry needle
• 20 sts/26 rows over 4”/10cm, in stockinette stitch in the round on 4.0mm/Size US 6 needles OR size required to obtain pattern gauge
Take time to save time - If in doubt, knit and wash a small swatch in the round to be sure of gauge.
• Mitten measures approximately 7.75(8.5)”/19.5(21.5)cm in circumference at hand
(Length may be adjusted based on preference)
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work knit and purl stitches
• Work in the round
• Work increases and decreases
• Execute cable twists, with or without a cable needle
• Pick up sts (for working thumb)