Queen St. Mitts
Many knitters in the city of Toronto are well familiar with Queen Street, since it is home to a number of favourite yarn shops! Throughout the year it’s always practical to have a pair of fingerless mitts tucked away in a pocket or purse when you’re bustling around the city. Why not knit a pair that really stands out in the crowd? These cables and bobbles are a pleasure to work and even more enjoyable to wear.
Choose one of the many beautiful shades of Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label sock yarn or Purple Label cashmere sock yarn, or substitute your preferred fingering-weight yarn.
With many thanks:
Photography by Jane D., technical editing by Stephannie Tallent, and modeling by Austen Gilliand.
• Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label fingering weight 80% superwash merino/20% nylon, 385m/420yds per 115g/4oz skein, 1 skein (shown in Lemongrass colourway)
• 2.5mm needles, in set of 4 double-pointed needles (DPNs) OR long 32”-40” circular for working Magic Loop, depending on preference (OR needle size required to obtain gauge.)
• stitch markers
• cable needle
• Comfortably fits hand circumference of 6.75-8.0 ins around.
• S(M) sizes differ only in thumb gusset: two sizes of thumb gusset are offered, recommended to fit hand sizes 6.75-7.0 ins(7.25-8.0ins) in circumference.
32 sts/40 rounds over 4 ins/10cm in stockinette stitch on 2.5mm needles, OR needle size required to obtain gauge.
Take time to save time - If in doubt, knit and wash a small swatch in the round to be sure of gauge.
To execute this pattern, knitters will be required to:
• Work knit and purl sts and bobbles
• Execute cable twists (with or without a cable needle)
• Work increases purlwise (m1p)
• Work in the round
• Read and work from a chart