Bosco is an oversized, loose boxy pullover knit seamlessly using chunky/bulky-weight yarn knit up on a needle size larger than you typically would to create a more loose fabric.
It’s knit in one piece from the bottom to the underarms, then the front and back are worked separately. Shoulders are shaped using short rows and seamed together using the 3 Needle Bind-Off Technique. Sleeve stitches are picked up around the armholes and worked in the round to the cuff, and neck stitches are also picked up and worked in the round to create the cowl neck. Instructions are very detailed so even if you have never done short rows or a 3 Needle Bind-Off before this would be a great introduction to them.
Sizes: XS (S, M, L, XL, 2X)
Shown in size S, being worn with approx. 15”/38 cm of positive ease. To have a similar oversized fit, choose a size that is approx. 10-15”/25-38 cm larger than your actual bust measurement.
44.5 (48.75, 51.5, 54.5, 57.5, 60.5)”/113 (124, 131, 138, 146, 154) cm
Body: 11 sts & 15 rws = 4”/10 cm in Broken Rib (in the round) after blocking
Sleeves: 11 sts & 13 rws = 4”/10 cm in 1x1 Rib (in the round) after blocking, when stretched out a little
Yarn: Approx. 672 (738, 782, 826, 892, 958) yds of bulky-weight yarn, shown in Vintage Chunky by Berroco (50% Acrylic, 40% Wool, 10% Nylon; 100g = 130 yds), colorway Cracked Pepper, 6 (6, 7, 7, 7, 8) skeins.
Needles and other supplies:
- 32”/81 cm and 16”/41 cm circular knitting needles in size US 13/9 mm or size needed to obtain body gauge
- US 13/9 mm double pointed needles, or size needed to obtain sleeve gauge (or you can use a 32”/81 cm circular if using magic loop method)
- Stitch markers
- 3 pieces of scrap yarn, 2 approx. 20”/50 cm in length and 1 approx. 36”/ 72 cm in length
- Tapestry needle to weave in ends
Yarn Substitution Ideas
- Cascade Ecological Wool (or Eco+)
- Malabrigo Mecha
- Berroco Ultra Alpaca Chunky
- Rowan Cocoon
- Rowan Purelife British Sheep Breeds Chunky